Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

converting signal to ttl logic voltage level

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptewright

Hi,
I have this weird output. When the signal is true, the voltage is 5.0V, but when it is false, the voltage is 3.3V. I need to convert this to a ttl logic level, so that it remains 5.0V when it's true, but it changes the 3.3V to 0V when it is false. Does anyone know if there is a component that does this? I really need suggestions.

A possible solution...

Attachments

• levelshift.gif
    levelshift.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 751
How's about a PNP with a pullup to +5 on the emitter (collected grounded, signal to base)? The pull up also limits base current.

j.

Below is a 2-transistor solution which is noninverting. Sebi's circuit will invert. John's circuit is an emitter follower, and the output will swing from 4v to 5v as the input swings from 3.3v to 5v. A comparator such as LM311 or LM393 will work.

Attachments

• level_shifter.gif
    level_shifter.gif
    5.1 KB · Views: 1,045
Ron H said:
Below is a 2-transistor solution which is noninverting. Sebi's circuit will invert. John's circuit is an emitter follower, and the output will swing from 4v to 5v as the input swings from 3.3v to 5v. A comparator such as LM311 or LM393 will work.

What would the circuit for the comparator look like?

Sebi, the input swings from 3.3V to 5V, so the threshold should be 4.15V.

See below.

Attachments

• levelshift_354.gif
    levelshift_354.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 551
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back