Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Converting SAMSUNG LTN154XA L01 laptop screen to VGA monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I have an old broken beyond repair laptop. I was wondering how difficult would it be to convert the screen into a working monitor I could connect up to a VGA port? I'm asking more about any extra electronics I would need. My mate should kindly help me solder. It's some fine soldering on the connector.

The beauty of the laptop screen is that it's thin hence I could mount it on the wall easily and cheaply.

datashet: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2011/07/LTN154XA-L01.pdf

Hi
I have an old broken beyond repair laptop. I was wondering how difficult would it be to convert the screen into a working monitor I could connect up to a VGA port? I'm asking more about any extra electronics I would need. My mate should kindly help me solder. It's some fine soldering on the connector.

It's not practical to do, most of the required electronics is on the main PCB in the laptop, you would have to design and build extremely complicated circuitry. Buy a proper monitor.

Ok does anyone know of a place I can sell the monitor ? I thinking more cash in hand rather than online. It would still be very complicated even if you have the invertor. I believe it's the invertor. It's a really thin pcb which the screen connects to.

Last edited:
It may be difficult to sell the laptop screen, as these are not standard, the inverter for the screen would also be difficult to procure, but you check in the internet, some parts like hard disk, RAM cards, CD ROM drives etc could be salvaged.

In any case the defective laptop needs to be scrapped that's the advantage of low pricing on laptops, its cheaper to scrap defective laptops instead of getting them repaired.

You could use the laptop as a server, install a remote desktop monitoring tool so that it can be accessed from another computer (using LAN), so you do not have to use a monitor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back