Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Converting car stereo output to line level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antyx

I recently installed a pioneer CD player into my mothers mini-van as a christmas present. It turns out she requires the use of her factory tape player. I purchased what is call an IP-BUS auxiliary line input adapter for the CD player so that I can hook the tape player up to it but I need to step down the output of the tape player to something acceptable by the CD player. The CD player requires the input voltage be not more than 1v. I was wondering if anyone has a good and simple solution to prevent the tape players amplified outputs from toasting the line level inputs of the CD player. I'm sure I could turn the volume of the tape player down very low but I know my mother would try to crank up the volume on the wrong head unit so I need some sort of protection.

Any advice is appreciated

Antyx said:
I recently installed a pioneer CD player into my mothers mini-van as a christmas present. It turns out she requires the use of her factory tape player. I purchased what is call an IP-BUS auxiliary line input adapter for the CD player so that I can hook the tape player up to it but I need to step down the output of the tape player to something acceptable by the CD player. The CD player requires the input voltage be not more than 1v. I was wondering if anyone has a good and simple solution to prevent the tape players amplified outputs from toasting the line level inputs of the CD player. I'm sure I could turn the volume of the tape player down very low but I know my mother would try to crank up the volume on the wrong head unit so I need some sort of protection.

Any advice is appreciated

All you need is a simple resistive attenuator (two resistors per channel), but even better (if you can) simply tap off the top of the volume control for a line level output. As suitable values for the resistors, try a 10K from the output, and a 2.2K down to ground, taking the feed to the CD player from the junction of the two - this gives (roughly) 5 to 1 reduction.

What wattage rating do you think would be acceptable?

All I have here are 1/4's, think that's enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back