Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Converting 8v dc to 1.2v dc..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just use three small diodes in series to produce the 1.5 volt reference voltage with a 10K - 15K resistor for the voltage dropping component. After that use a large value low voltage capacitor as a backup power source for line power dips and outages.

5 components and thats it all salvageable from almost any common circuit board.

any help will be appreciated ! JimB

OK, have a look at the attachment.

This is what I suggest (others have suggested a similar arrangement).

I suggest using two diodes, I notice that TCM has suggested using three.
However I think that three may be too much.

I just did a quick test using a bunch of 1N4007 diodes and got a forward volt drop of 0.71 to 0.72 volts across each diode.
Using two of those diodes in my proposed circuit would give your clock a supply of 1.42 to 1.44 volts which should be adequate for normal operation.

JimB

Last edited:
I suggest using two diodes, I notice that TCM has suggested using three.
However I think that three may be too much.

Yep you are right. I am at work and mostly asleep at the computer right now. :eek: :p

For a 1.2 - 1.5 volt low current reference source the two diode suggestion is correct.

There are many components inside the smps charger ! To gain 1.5v what should i change !
Start by looking up the data sheet for the switching chip thats in it. What is the number on the chip?

Better use a 1.5V battery, because the current range in your case is in uA. You wont save huge using an adaptor.

But, if you still want to use a adaptor, then 7802 would also work. 1.5 or 2 wouldn't make a large difference. LM117(/LM317) is a better opt, but if you are unable to rig up the circuit/if you want it much more fast, then you can go with 7802IC. But take expert opinion, i might be wrong.

Better use a 1.5V battery, because the current range in your case is in uA. You wont save huge using an adaptor.

Stick a 99 cent D battery on it. you will die of old age before it runs out of power from the clock draining it down. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back