Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

convert 5V to 3.3V, how?

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry~~
it's for power, like i have a power source which is 5V for the PIC, but my image sensor is running on 3.3V, and i dunno what's the current, it doesnt say

Generally you would use a linear 3.3v regulator. In cases where higher power is involved, perhaps a switching regulator.

There are potential issues in hooking up a 3.3v device to a PIC at 5v. The PIC should be able to read 3.3v as a logical HIGH on its input. However, if the PIC provides a 5v output to the 3.3v device's input this usually causes a major problem. Can damage the device.

here's the typical application set up given in the datasheet
**broken link removed**
and i read through the datasheet didnt find any current limitation..
so you mean i should apply 3.3V to it and measure the current?
thanks alot for helping

Yes, apply power and measure it - hopefully it should be fairly low?, but bear in mind it probably needs to be working to measure it, you also have the problem of converting the I2C bus in order to setup the chip.

Have you considered running the PIC at 3.3V?, and using an LF series PIC.

Then you'll need a rs232 level shifter that supports 3.3v, like the ST3232. Which isn't hard to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back