Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Controlling Servo with Light Sensing Diode

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadd

I need help with a project I thought of, I just started a Electronic Technicians Course, and I've been messing with my Basic Stamp Discovery Kit so I'm not completely dumb, but I still need to learn alot, but I thought of this project and I really want to make it. I was looking at how to make a Moon Jar, I was thinking instead of using having the diode turn on/off LED's how can I make it operate a servo, well maybe a stepper motor, I need it to open soming on a hinge kind of like a clam shell. How would I got about controlling the servo?? Would I have to use a microcontroller??

I need help with a project I thought of, I just started a Electronic Technicians Course, and I've been messing with my Basic Stamp Discovery Kit so I'm not completely dumb, but I still need to learn alot, but I thought of this project and I really want to make it. I was looking at how to make a Moon Jar, I was thinking instead of using having the diode turn on/off LED's how can I make it operate a servo, well maybe a stepper motor, I need it to open soming on a hinge kind of like a clam shell. How would I got about controlling the servo?? Would I have to use a microcontroller??

Hi, and welcome to the board! Sounds like a fun project.

Um. . .what's a Moon Jar?

Providing lots of information, like links to things other people might not have heard or of explanations of what you're actually trying to do, will help you get better responses than this one. :) For instance, I Googled for moon jars and got this: ThinkGeek :: Sun and Moon Jars Is that what you mean?

Regards,

Torben

Servo signals are extremely easy to generate with a basic stamp, you should find code for it easily. You just turn an I/O line on, wait 1.5ms and turn it off. If you want the servo to go left you shorten the length of the signal up to 1ms, if you want it to go right you lengthen the signal up to 2ms. You have to send this pulse, at least 50 times per second, no more than 75-100 If you stop sending the signal for more than about 5ms the servo becomes 'floppy' IE you can move it with your hand. Keep sending the signal repetativly and it stays stiff at whatever spot you're telling it.

Sorry, about that, MOON JAR
Heres what I'm talking about. I want to take idea of the moon jar, have it light activated and have it power with a solar cell, but just have it move a servo. So I'm going to have to use a microcontroller for this?? Can I get any kind of really small microcontroller?? The one I have, well with the board and everything is about 4 inches x 2 inches, and I need one alot smaller with that. I haven't gotten to program servo's yet, in my book, I'm just up to programming multiple LED's, and multi-colored LED's.

Sorry about that. yea the link you posted is exactly what I'm talking about. The thing I want to build is exactly like the moon jar, I mean I want it to be solar powered, and light activated, but just control a servo instead of an LED. So will I have to use a Microcontroller? If so, I don't have very much experience with them, how small are they?? The one I have is pretty big, its about 4x2 inches, but it has alot of I/O pins since its an educational board, but I need one alot smaller. Thanks for the replies.

4X2 that's not a micro controller, that's an entire board. But probably what you need. What size do you need?

Well, I guess a 4x2 board would be ok, I'd prefer to have a smaller one. Does anyone make one smaller than that??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back