Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Control with Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

afesheir

hi everybody ..

I have a control project where a camera captures a certian scene and depending on the captured image, some motors are controlled ..

my question is:
Which camera can fit my needs and its commercial name .. can an ordinary web cam work in this scenario ..?

after that i wanna know the pin description of this camera's output to take them into the appropiate controlling circuits ..

thnx in advance ..

You just opened up a can of worms, image recognition is NOT a simple science, you need to be VERY specific about what you're trying to do because if you don't know exactly what you're doing such a project is WAY over the head of someone that doesn't know much about electronics.

Even if you did know exactly what you wanted, it will take a LOT of research (possibly teams of engineers and scientists working for years) to figure it out. ANd then you need the money to buy the advanced processing hardware powerful enough to process the image, and the knowledge to use it.

It's beyond your ability right now. Start simpler, much simpler.

Last edited:
ok .. anyway i have a fair knowledge of image recognition and simply a matlab code can be converted to c code and downloaded to a microcontroller .. i know that uC memory is not enough at all to handle an image but external RAM can be added .. i am asking only about the appropriate camera needed to perform my desired task ..

There's a open source project out there: SENTIENCE

but it does not use PIC :)

With regards to "which camera" ... the one that produce output you know how to scan is the one you can use ... USB camera is incredibly hard to use if you are not using PC but uC ... on the other hand simple cheap camera with composite output is easy to use with a simple PIC ..

now .. about the "when it recognises it send data to move something" ... note that security cameras that "follow you" do not use any type of recognition but they use PIR sensor to follow you...

depending on what you want to achieve ... you can / cannot achieve it with small uC's ,, forget about "additional RAM" .. that idea will not work...

if you want to "detect a large white object and follow it" ... you can do it with some avr/pic uC .. but if you want any type of recognition ... forget about small ones and either go with "mini PC" and do your system on few GHz cpu or go with more expensive solution like big uC's

anyhow, check that link from the top of the post .. you'll find interesting stuff

Any camera that you can read data from into your processor is okay. THis may or may not be a webcam- it depends on the type of software you are best at coding.

Last edited:
There's a open source project out there: SENTIENCE

thanks mate .. i will investigate this site and thanks for help .. :D

on the other hand simple cheap camera with composite output is easy to use with a simple PIC ..
Fine, but what is composite output camera ..?? what is the pin description of its output and how it can be interfaced with PIC ..??

forget about "additional RAM" .. that idea will not work...
y ? what is wrong with it ..?

if you want to "detect a large white object and follow it" ... you can do it with some avr/pic uC .. but if you want any type of recognition ... forget about small ones and either go with "mini PC" and do your system on few GHz cpu or go with more expensive solution like big uC's

this is exactly what i am seeking .. detecting some colors and directions of lines (something like line follower) .. no object recognition is needed at all

thanks alot man ..

Any camera that you can read data from into your processor is okay. THis may or may not be a webcam- it depends on the type of software you are best at coding.
well, i am now searching for a good one to use ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back