Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Control motors over the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once you have the remote serial connection you're going to have to figure out what to use to convert serial data into I/O

20yrs ago you'd use a UART IC. Today a microcontroller is a practical solution.

Once you have the remote serial connection you're going to have to figure out what to use to convert serial data into I/O

20yrs ago you'd use a UART IC. Today a microcontroller is a practical solution.

Ok cheers bill !!!

Will look into options avaible on this.

So does my thoughts sound doable?

remote side - xport- Pic (to sort out the data) with RF. transmitter - RF. reciver with motors.

Cheers!!!

Just noticed you only need 50ft range. A pair of xbee or xbee pro modules (one USB the other RS232) would be easier. You get some generic IO with those and they haves command set like a Hayes modem. Work great too.

Just noticed you only need 50ft range. A pair of xbee or xbee pro modules (one USB the other RS232) would be easier. You get some generic IO with those and they haves command set like a Hayes modem. Work great too.

Hi Bill

Don't mind at this stage looking at many options as no point wasting time going down the wrong route or less practical route.

Will do that tomoz now as it's getting late here in the UK. If you can go deeper with an explination on how this all fits in that would be great.:)

Cheers !!!

Hi Bill

Been of googling to see what I can find on the xbee and I found a very good demo of how to configure them-

XBee Configuration Tutorial - Tellart [stream]

Still looking for info on how to connect the xbee to a modem/ADSL point.

you say (one USB the other RS232) please explain why so I can understand you suggestions.:rolleyes:

Cheers!!!

No, USB Xbee to RS232 Xbee.

This kit has almost everything you need for about $129 from digikey. It will need additional circuitry to control motors though.
XB24-DKS
**broken link removed**

Hi

No servos required in this project!!!!

I'm not avoiding Microcontrollers!!!! and if possible to keep this project as small as possible I would use them.

I do however want to avoid if at all possible the use of a PC. at the remote site.

The point of these initial questions was to come up with a list of components that would enable me to do this project.

Trouble is all the new (to me) components and terminology that's involved in such a project.I will however do my best to search out products and try and understand how they work and how they are combined to complete the project.

I do have PIC. programming tools (cheers E ;)) and would be willing to use it if the project went down that route.

Again at the remote site will be an Internet connection with an ADSL modem/router. I'm not to worried about the final build size of the box that will plug in to the modem with an RF. transmitter as it can go anywhere.The important issue is the size of the final build that controls the motors so small as possible.

The main thing at this stage I would like from you guys is the help and advice of the available components and which of those might best suit my project.

Once we have established what would be good for the job I will then start looking in to how they work and fit together.

Cheers for all the help.:)

Hi

Please correct my assumptions.?????

So lets assume for now that the Xbee is the tool for the job and I would require two, one set up to send the data from the remote site Internet connection and the other to receive the data and feed the motors.

Again clear up my thoughts each xbee will also require additional hardware and software to make any sense of the data.

The Xbee that will be connected in to the remote site modem will require a breakout board and some other kind of hardware that is able to do the sorting out of the data from the net connection.This will also require software to enable the secure web connection from my home PC.

The xbee at the motor side will also need a breakout board and again additional hardware to feed the motors with the required data.

Cheers for helping, just a few questions to clear any thoughts.

Attachments

• pc to.jpg
    pc to.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 137
The XBee modules will require a PC or some other device to connect to the ADSL modem, and can be USB or RS232 depending upon what ports you have avaiable on the PC or other device. The only way to do what you are asking (control motors over the internet/LAN) without using a PC is to use the XPort or something similar. Check out the XPort, SitePlayer, Microchip's Ethernet PICtail daughterboard, etc. You will most likely need to program a micro-controller or micro-controller like device. I believe the Xport is an ethernet to rs232 bridge type device, you would then connect that device to a separate micro-controller to control the motors, or for completely wireless operation the bridge device to an rs232 based XBee module.

My suggestion, since you stated earlier that you were more interested in learning how to do this than in just buying a product you can plug in and use, is by some micro-controllers (PICs since you say you have a programmer), download or buy a compiler (Basic, C, Pascal), some h-bridges, momentary switches, and other various components, and learn how to control a motor from switches connected to a micro-controller and work up from there. It will be much more rewarding to turn that motor on using something you built yourself.

If you decide to go this route just come back here with any questions and people will be glad to help.

Last edited:
The XBee modules will require a PC or some other device to connect to the ADSL modem, and can be USB or RS232 depending upon what ports you have avaiable on the PC or other device. The only way to do what you are asking (control motors over the internet/LAN) without using a PC is to use the XPort or something similar. Check out the XPort, SitePlayer, Microchip's Ethernet PICtail daughterboard, etc. You will most likely need to program a micro-controller or micro-controller like device. I believe the Xport is an ethernet to rs232 bridge type device, you would then connect that device to a separate micro-controller to control the motors, or for completely wireless operation the bridge device to an rs232 based XBee module.

My suggestion, since you stated earlier that you were more interested in learning how to do this than in just buying a product you can plug in and use, is by some micro-controllers (PICs since you say you have a programmer), download or buy a compiler (Basic, C, Pascal), some h-bridges, momentary switches, and other various components, and learn how to control a motor from switches connected to a micro-controller and work up from there. It will be much more rewarding to turn that motor on using something you built yourself.

If you decide to go this route just come back here with any questions and people will be glad to help.

Hi Mike

Cheers for the info.

I have looked at the Xport as suggested by Bill and that does look an interesting tool.I have now looked briefly at the your other ethernet suggestion and am quite interested in the siteplayer.

I'm sure that connecting up a siteplayer ethernet to rs232 to an xbee should be doable.

I take your advice and will look deeper in to it.

Cheers

Automation of molding machine using plc and monitoring using scada technique

hello I m shoaib,
i need some suggestions and solutions regarding my FYP project......
i want to automate an injection molding machine using FATEK FBs PLC and i want to monitor it using PC. For doing this i m having some problems

(i) I can arrange only FATEK PLC ,so the problem is this that how i interlink my PLC with PC?
(ii) On which software do i have to make the graphical representaion on PC (like SCADA monitoring) which supports the FATEK PLC?
(iiii) Is there any thing else required to connect in b/w PLC and PC?
(iv) What r the other parameters which i can monitor on PC in an injection molding machie instead of TEMPERATURE,PRESSURE, and SPEED?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back