Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Control Home Appliances With Cell Phone and Internet of Things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the water pump within wifi range?

If you have a cell phone already then use it's wifi to connect a Wemos to the internet.

Mike.

Answer : .......
I think may farms will not have internet. Probably at the "office" there will be cell and internet.
It is good if you fill out "location" in your profile. This helps us find a better answer.
Where I live, cell phone towers are very common at the pump. Internet is not common at the pump.
I have worked with oil field pumps. We use GSM/cell phone. In many places far from town there are no cell towers. We use 900mhz radios and 5ghz/2.4ghz radios. My last project I used a cell radio and a Zigbee radio. We used a network in the office and internet. Then the cell towers jump the signal to close to the oil field. Then we use 900mhz radios to make a mesh network that might be 10 mile in diameter. Only one pump needs to see a cell tower all the rest of the pumps talk 900mhz.

I do not know your country.
Will all the pumps be able to see a cell tower?
Will there be a land line (phone line)?
Will there be internet at the pump?
You need to think about how to connect the last mile.

I think may farms will not have internet. Probably at the "office" there will be cell and internet.
It is good if you fill out "location" in your profile. This helps us find a better answer.
Where I live, cell phone towers are very common at the pump. Internet is not common at the pump.
I live in india. Generally There be mobile signals available in farm. I do not think any farmer would want to use the internet service because charge of internet is very expensive around 15 $ (3 g speed).

generally we do not use a landline phone or a WiFi router in our farms because of cost.

To connect the pump to the Internet, we will have to buy a wifi dongle or router. that increase additional cost of farmer

As we've explained endlessly, "it depends" - both have their uses. I also fail to see why you keep adding 'Raspberry' on option 2, it's neither required, nor of any use.

As you've now explained there is no Internet, then only the GSM option is available to you.

Seems like the options have been explained pretty clearly now. So it's time to engage your brain and use some critical thinking.

What would the cost of internet service be (monthly fee) vs the cost of a cell system (with a charge for each pump operation)?

As the application appears to be a simple remote control system, depending on the distance a simple HC-12 remote control (or similar) might do the job.

Or just a local network system, using something like this:

**broken link removed**

As we've explained endlessly, "it depends" - both have their uses. I also fail to see why you keep adding 'Raspberry' on option 2, it's neither required, nor of any use.

As you've now explained there is no Internet, then only the GSM option is available to you.
I'm not really building any project right now. My goal for posting this question is to learn basic about project development.

I have read it, Project should be efficient and low cost. I have project requirement and I have to develop low cost, efficient project for farmer. I have two ways to develop a project

I think it's fair to use GSM method rather then the esp8266 because the internet service charge is very higher then the mobile calling charge. I do not think any farmer would want to use the internet service because charge of internet is very expensive around 15 $ (3 g speed).

You have not recommended any one till the last.
If you are recommending both of them so if i really develop then I will have to use one. I had told in my first post that I will use the GSM Method because of low cost.

Do you agree now ?

We now agree that the GSM method is the best for your circumstances. However, it wasn't until post #24 that you told us the relevant information - you live in India and Internet isn't available. Had you put that in your first post then the discusion would have been just a few posts.

Please fill in your location and describe your position better next time.

Mike.

This is to be funny. Life is funny. It is not meant to insult anyone. I have spent greats amount of time playing this gave with marketing. I play this game in my head.

However, it wasn't until post #24 that you told us the relevant information
There are two sides to this:
1) Every one of us is very tired of how long this takes. I can see that Parth86 is also tired.

2) This is very typical. I have developed 100s of products. This is how it works.

a) Here is all the data, we need an answer. (very simple)
b) No that is not all the data. Give me more data.
c) I gave you all the data. (I just found one more piece of data)
d) Jump back to (b) and repeat 50 times.

subroutine to be called randomly.
a) Need this data.
b) That data is not relevant
c) Yes it is important.
d) No it is not.
e) Give me the F*^% data
f) Only if I have to.

Every time you think you have a good answer, insert this code.
Variable(7)=random word ** red, smaller, larger, cost down, green, new function, etc
a) I for get to say this but we need Variable(7)
b) Variable(7) ??? what? why? no?
c) If you want to keep your job ..... Variable(7)
d) Ok Variable(7) but I need more data.
e) No you don't. What don't you understand? Simply Variable(7)
f) If Variable(7) = true then jump to start.
g) No...No jump to start. Please jump to end.

This code runs every Monday morning and some time on Friday afternoon.
a) Why are you two weeks behind schedule. Why? Give me data.
b) That data is not relevant?
c) Is relevant. Why are you late?
d) Because you are in my office.
e) Why are you two weeks behind schedule. Why? Give me data.
f) Because Variable(7)
g) No. Variable(7)<>late
h) Yes. Variable(7)==late
i) Why are you two weeks behind schedule. Why? Give me data.
j) Data==0, You do not deserve good data.
k) Give me the F*^% data
l) Late==(missing data) now go away.
m) This is not over.
n) See you Monday 9:00.

You have not recommended any one till the last.
If you are recommending both of them so if i really develop then I will have to use one. I had told in my first post that I will use the GSM Method because of low cost.

Do you agree now ?

No :D

You don't need Internet, you only need WiFi - as long as you can get WiFi coverage where the pumps are this would be the far cheaper solution. Using GSM means call costs every time you use it, making it more expensive to use as well as more expensive to install.

I am not an expert. Last time they told me that "machine to machine" cell calls are billed very differently. I do not know what the means.

You can get special commercial SIM cards that are pre-paid, text only, and provide unlimited texts - I had one when I was designing and building a GSM based project for a friend's company. Unfortunately, it expired due to lack of use after the project was completed - you have to ensure they make regular calls or the card dies. I've no idea where you would get one, and this was one my friend managed to acquire through a third party, and couldn't get any more.

For a normal SIM a text is charged at the normal rate, regardless of what you use it in.

From Verizon: (US)
upload_2018-1-3_12-20-36.png

I don't understand data sharing but if I had one pump I would pay $2.00 a month and can keep the data to under 200k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back