Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Continuity Test voltage 2.9 volts or 0.44 volts, LRC meter with ext. power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simply put in series with the cap, short it at first and connect voltage source to allow the cap to charge and not blow the fuse on the meter, then remove the short on the meter and observe leakage current.

When you remove the short on the meter to measure the leakage current, is the Voltage source still applied to the cap? or do you remove the voltage source also?

Leakage is usually tested using a sensitive ampermeter. Simply put in series with the cap, short it at first and connect voltage source to allow the cap to charge and not blow the fuse on the meter, then remove the short on the meter and observe leakage current.

I am kind of lost here, the question was directed at me, I read it to mean I should use a LCR meter, or I was being silly to advise not to charge the cap! But I was answering the question as he posted it, so somewhere confusion has crept in. For a start the datasheet should give an indication how the manufacturer does the test, so I would start there.
I assumed we are talking LCR meters, but I dont get that, I have a good one and you have to discharge the cap first, because of the chip it uses is used in most high end meters, I cant see any of these being able to tolerate a charge already on, so why would he charge the cap up?
And if it was a rough guess test (most of mine would be) then why not use the method I said.

anyway not allowed to post on these anymore but will read answers. I think we are talking different ends or I misunderstand something

put the probe together or when measuring continuity between traces or when something is very low resistance

I'm not sure why the test voltage for continuity is 2.9 volts , any reason why?
For testing semiconductors

Billy.

You can do whatever you want. When you destroy enough stuff your boss can give you your walking papers

You are unwilling to follow recommendations to educate yourself.

You can't recognize simple circuits. Your safety record is suspect.

If I knew wbere you worked I would have a conversation with the owner concerning your performance based on your postings.

I won't be responding to any of your future postings because it's a waste of my time.

Social media doesn't promote stupidity, but is sure documents it effectively.

Billy Mayo said that he blows the fuse in his Fluke meter, it blows easily. We know why.

Fuses are like interlocks, they protect the equipment fom those who think they are technicians.
I thought that was the job of natural selection :D and flyback transformers :D:D:D

I wanted to adjust the pulley on my furnace fan for a stronger blow of heated or cooled air but I did not want too much current. I did not know if the existing current was higher than the fuse rating in my DVM. I crossed my fingers and measured a current that could be increased without blowing the fuse or straining the motor. I adjusted the pulley for more current. I was LUCKY.

I measured the maximum current of my AA Ni-MH cells and the current was close to blowing the fuse but the fuse survived. Again I was LUCKY.

Mod Edit Off topic...

Last edited by a moderator:
LG,

Not cool. You should have completely quoted him vice cherry picking his words to make the context entirely different.

Some need to test a wire for continuity. Current through diode may confuse them so a meter with lower test voltage was made ( silicon diode starts conducting above 0.6V)
Why do u need 2.9 test voltage to test the continuity of a wire or cable? for long distance? 0.44 test volts can do this

That's why it's at 0.44 test voltage and not at 0.6 volts , because it will conduct semiconductors and Logic IC gate inputs

The Fluke meters at my work in continuity mode has test voltages at 2.9 volts which WILL turn on semiconductors, diodes, transistors, Logic IC gates , and you will think you have a SHORT or the component is SHORTED

This is my main point, is why did fluke want 2.9volts test voltage in the continuity mode?

- - - Updated - - -

Similar is the 2.9V for Darlington transistor and red LED which require 1.4V and 2V to testYes in diode mode, but in continuity that test voltage is at 2.9 volts which will conductor the darlington transistor or RED LED light, you will be a BEEP thinking the darlington transistor is SHORTED because of the test voltage in continuity mode is at 2.9 volt test voltage

I don't understand why FLUKE has a test voltage at 2.9 volts in continuity mode , it doesn't make since to me

I measured the maximum current of my AA Ni-MH cells and the current was close to blowing the fuse but the fuse survived.

The Max current out of battery when testing them was blowing the fuses on fluke meters at work

How can I test the Max current out of a battery without blowing the fuses on my fluke meter at work? it's only blows fuses when the meter is measuring current

maybe they have a range selector~? or maybe your measuring too high a current, hmmm maybe you could use a component to drop the current to a ratio you can measure, say on the volts scale?
Might be worth doing a google for laws, start with Ohms one. or put it another way, say you wanted to measure 200A with your meter, how would you do it? (without using the forum option of course)
What calculation would you use?
what component would you use?
How does your manager do it?
How do the techs (if there is any) at work do it?

The answer to the 2.9 volt question is in the msnual.

Where fo you work? What is the phone number and your boss' name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back