Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

constant current regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinarfi

is there a current regulator like the LM317 that has a greater voltage span than the 40 volt differential of the lm317 or a way to increase it's span?
Also, the spec sheet shows how to increase the current handling capability, are there any simpler methods.
Here's why, On my off highway vehicle with an automotive electrical system, (12.6 to 14.4 volt system), I have an inductive boost circuit driving 104, 5mm, 3.6v(3 - 4 v), 20 ma LEDs in series and plan to use the same method of 4 20 watt leds in series that are rated at13.5 - 15 volt, 1500ma each.
circuit attached if you care to view or run it.
Kinarfi

Attachments

• 20ma-170v-52LED.asc
    3.2 KB · Views: 148
You can use the LM317HV.

Here is the data sheet:

Attachments

• LM317HV.PDF
    468.8 KB · Views: 128
When I ran it it had 126 amps of inductor current. Did you mean to do that?

no, I know that spice is good, but some times I take it with a grain of salt. And I'm not certain of the inductor value that I'm actually using, but it only pulls 1 amp from my lambda power supply.
Kinarfi

When I say I take it with a grain of salt, I ignore parts of the circuit while working on the part thats giving me problems at that moment. Your comment gave me cause to tune my spice circuit and have it match what I have on the bench. Here's a better tuned .asc

Attachments

• 20ma-170v-52LED.asc
    3.5 KB · Views: 137
Final version, gets put to work in my buggy tomorrow. I'm using the lm317hvt mounted near the lights so I only need one wire out of the power supply. Thanks TVTECh!
Added a bunch of bench measurements to the .asc
Kinarfi

Attachments

• 20ma-170v-52LED.asc
    3.7 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back