Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connecting PA mic to PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwals92

Hi,

I have a balanced microphone that uses a 5 pin din connector, this connector is connected to a power source that gives off another 5 pin din connector (which connects directly to the amp usually).

I tried using cables that converted the 5 pin din connection to a 3.5mm jack so that it would fit into my computer, however no input sound came through, only quiet static noises - I was told that the line in on a PC feeds small current to mics and may have interfered with the external power source.

Anyway, given this information, is it possible to connect the mic to my PC? If so, can you please explain how.. And if not, please put me out of my misery.

Thanks for the link. I was using the mic in port, didn't know that I was supposed to use line in. However, I don't know if this will work just yet, I will try it out and report back. Fingers crossed.

I have tested my cables out using a media player and when using the mic port, I get quite a lot of noise, but when using the line input it's as clear as anything. When I connected the actual mic to the mic port however, there was no sound at all? Should my method actually work when I use the line in port?

ALSO, if the mic is 600 ohms, and it goes through the line in, would I actually hear anything? If not, let's just say that I recorded the low sound, and played it back through an amp, would it be clear again?

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I was using the mic in port, didn't know that I was supposed to use line in. However, I don't know if this will work just yet, I will try it out and report back. Fingers crossed.

I have tested my cables out using a media player and when using the mic port, I get quite a lot of noise, but when using the line input it's as clear as anything. When I connected the actual mic to the mic port however, there was no sound at all? Should my method actually work when I use the line in port?

ALSO, if the mic is 600 ohms, and it goes through the line in, would I actually hear anything? If not, let's just say that I recorded the low sound, and played it back through an amp, would it be clear again?

You don't use line-in for a mike, unless you use a mike preamp with it, which is probably the best way to go.

The PC mike input is intended for an electret mike, why do you want to use a PA one?.

I probably will need a preamp. Trouble is, I can't find one with a 5 pin din port. I guess I could convert the 5 din pin to 2xRCA and then amplify it and send it to the PC from RCA to a 3.5mm jack into the line-in.
Would this work: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000H2B...de=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B000H2BC4E ?

That's a phono preamp, NOT a microphone one, and completely useless for your purpose.

Could I record the line in without a preamp and then amplify the playback?

Not really, it would be absolutely rubbish quality, if it worked at all.

Why does your mike have a 5 pin DIN anyway?, standards for mikes are 1/4 inch jack or XLR.

You still haven't explained exactly what you're trying to do, is the mike even suitable?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back