Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

connecting LEDS to 12vac

Status
Not open for further replies.

aznknightzz

i want to connect 3 white LEDS into a 12v ac power supply, how would i do it? Would it be the same as connecting them to a 12v dc power supply?

Series would be the most efficient way (I'm assuming you want all three to come on together with the 12VAC, and have equal brightness), since there would be less losses in the resistance. Measure the Vf of the LEDs; it is probably around 3V each. Then, using RMS voltages, R=(12-3*Vf)/I, so if the current desired is 10mA (for example), R=300 ohms.

Here's the trick: you need to put a diode in anti-parallel with the LEDs to keep their reverse voltage from being exceeded. This is expecially important for white and blue LEDs, which are more sensitive than green, red or amber. The power dissipated in the resistor on the half cycle the reverse diode will be conducting will be much greater than when the LEDs are on, since less voltage will be dropped across the single diode, the Vf of which will be only 0.7V, so you'll need to size the resistor wattage appropriately.

The alternative would be to use FOUR white LEDs, two each in anti-parallel. Now THAT would be sweeeeeet.

j.

Thanks for answering my questions so quickly. If possible, could you draw a simple schematic? I still don't know where the diode(s) go.

schematic :wink:

Attachments

• LED1.jpg
    LED1.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 1,081
You know, I think I might do it like this (attached). It limits the reverse voltage across the reverse biased LEDs. The three LEDs in series won't work as well, I don't think, because the Vf of a white LED (the one I looked up) is like 3.6V, so 3*Vf=10.8. The peak currents through the LEDs will have to be higher since three LEDs will conduct for less of the half cycle than two LEDs.

j.

Attachments

• LEDs_482.gif
    LEDs_482.gif
    2.5 KB · Views: 1,019
If you do the four led design, then the LEDs that are in antiparallel are performing the function of the diode I was talking about before: limiting the reverse voltage across the reverse biased LEDs, with the added benefit of giving off light :? .

j.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back