Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connecting and Coding Brains (Arduino's & Raspberry Pi's)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been working on a Smart Helmet that's going to use both 2 Arduino's and 2 Raspberry Pi's to run several objectives such as: Different Sensors (8 Sonar with 4 on each Arduino, 8 Motion Sensor on each Pi) Video/Audio/Picture capabilities, I.o.T Applications, etc. I'm using methods such as Photon-pixel coupling and Multiplexing. My main issue is running a code that will (theoretically and most importantly most likely operate as it should with splitting the power through USB ports and powering the device as a whole) quickly pixelate each vid/pic when taken and register through it's own cloud to save space via SD cards and alert the wear of any anomalies from the sensors and cam. But the code although easy for the sensors (as we've tried the code and sensors through various tests) the code for the rest of the device's functionality and robustness is a bit of a far road ahead of me given my very little knowledge of Code. Any pointers?

Pointers?
- a billion clock cycles per second on a pi is very fast when executing C code
- a pi executing Python seems very slow - especially when running through IDLE IDE on the Pi.
- a billion cycles per second seems very fast unless you are processing pixels in images and even slower if you are trying to process pixels in videos.

I'd have to understand exactly what you're doing to give more detailed pointers.

I'm attempting to utilize the "Photon-Pixel Coupling Method" as well as Multiplexing. I'm trying to use the coupling method to set up an array of sensors (This case PiR, an or Microwave Sensors & Ultrasonic Sensors - Sonar/Echolocation) and instead of using lights I'm gonna be using Vibration Motors from Video Game Controllers and from Old Cell Phones. All the while I attempt to use the methods of Multiplexing for the Camera Modules and such. My idea is to hopefully use these methods to successfully make a high speed high performance system to alert the user of their surroundings through the sensors [and vibrations they give off] and show the user through the camera modules for video/pic. So far I have 8 Motion Sensors, 8 Ultrasonic Sensors, 4 - 6 Camera Modules, 2 3.5inch HUD Display Screens, 2 Arduino Nano's and 2 Raspberry Pi 0 W's flat breadboards (called protoboards), a Google Home Mini and a bag of 74HC595 IC chips to help with the assembly of the Multiplexers that will be used to hopefully pull this off. My only issue with this is the code needed, the best language I should use and how I will execute it

Have you done anything similar in the past (a baby step) or is this going to be one big home run swing?

Yes, I am done similar tests and various baby steps throughout this project's time. Back in 2017 I built a 2nd variation of the project where it consisted of only Ultrasonic Sensors (that being 3 at the time as well) and an Arduino Mega. The variation ran successfully for a multitude of times until in 2018, I went in to start and slowly complete assembling all the parts and necessary equipment. This part in the project I'm looking to see if I can hopefully make this final assembly and test our big home run swing so to speak before patenting this officially and pitching.

before patenting this officially
For information, you cannot patent anything after its existence has been publicly disclosed.

Any information provided to anyone else about a project that may be patentable must be done under the conditions of a legal "non disclosure" agreement. A patent application must be registered before the existence is made public.

Also, any existing concept - even if it's only appeared in such as scifi and never as a real device - cannot be patented.

For information, you cannot patent anything after its existence has been publicly disclosed.
I would write C code wherever possible but, if you have a lot of real-time video processing, three are

I can certainly tell you I have built a better mousetrap and then patent all the details of the mouse trap because, I never told you the details.

Please never use the term "coding brains" again when referring to computers.

Mike.

Also, any existing concept - even if it's only appeared in such as scifi and never as a real device - cannot be patented.

Maybe the what cannot be patented but the how can certainly be patented.
If I come up with a way to teleport someone, the concept of teleporting cannot be patented, how I actually carry out the teleportation can be patented. And, after I patent my process, anyone can patent improvements to my patent.

Note that there are nearly a million patents approved and published by the patent office every three years. Most are subtitle improvements to existing products, devices, etc.

No one has ever made a teleporter, so the machine would be an original design and patentable!

And, after I patent my process, anyone can patent improvements to my patent.
Not generally, or not usually in the UK / Europe, anyway; changes need to be radical and not just incremental improvements.
One of the phrases I saw somewhere was that they had to be beyond what a experienced engineer or designer in whatever field may do to improve something.

Basic requirements, from the UK Intellectual Property Office:

Something that can be made or used.
New.
Inventive - not just a simple modification to something that already exists.

US patents seem to have virtually no restrictions - but if there is prior art for the claimed invention, they can be invalidated afterwards.

If you say so. You might want to search patent assignee, IBM, or any of the chemical companies that formulate mixtures, consumer product companies that formulate cleaning products, automotive companies that change a diffusion film in a taillight, or a brake pad formation or headlamp reflector, or.... (and when I mention formulations, I mean small percent changes or minor additives to an existing formulation).

It is up to you if you want to limit what you want to patent or how you want to interpret those
UK rules or other European country's patent office rules or the US patent rules but other companies seem to interpret differently. The proof is in the long list of patents that are published each week. Most patents are issued in multiple countries and patent harmonization that has taken place over the last 20-years means there is little difference in global rules. Many countries even cooperated in the patent review process to minimize workload - essentially saying, if they reject a claim, then we do too, or, if they accept a claim, we do too.

Yes gophert I agree with that statement which helps me clear up a bit of what I meant to say, after doing vigorous research online I've came to see that all throughout the internet there has been several tests. Even from Universities and companies like Raytheon that have constructed a multi-sensory perception Helmet before in very similar conditions, in this case only utilizing Sonar in the same terms as Daredevil would, minus the person being blind. Many more examples of this have included Frank Zapata making a variation of a hoverboard that uses Mini Gas Turbines to hover and fly (The Flyboard Air). Same with Richard Browning and his Jet powered flight suit, The Daedalus Flight Pack. My variation of the multiple creations of a Multi-sensory highly perceptive Helmet will (hopefully) include a lot more upgrades (including the Motion Sensors) and add to the patent. My variation of this very well established project, is called The Spectrum Helmet. Hopefully in time I could patent this in a way where it could be used to help, my idea with all this is to integrate known technologies and inventions/creations, etc, to hopefully put it towards good use.

Yes gophert I agree with that statement which helps me clear up a bit of what I meant to say, after doing vigorous research online I've came to see that all throughout the internet there has been several tests. Even from Universities and companies like Raytheon that have constructed a multi-sensory perception Helmet before in very similar conditions, in this case only utilizing Sonar in the same terms as Daredevil would, minus the person being blind. Many more examples of this have included Frank Zapata making a variation of a hoverboard that uses Mini Gas Turbines to hover and fly (The Flyboard Air). Same with Richard Browning and his Jet powered flight suit, The Daedalus Flight Pack. My variation of the multiple creations of a Multi-sensory highly perceptive Helmet will (hopefully) include a lot more upgrades (including the Motion Sensors) and add to the patent. My variation of this very well established project, is called The Spectrum Helmet. Hopefully in time I could patent this in a way where it could be used to help, my idea with all this is to integrate known technologies and inventions/creations, etc, to hopefully put it towards good use.

An easy option would be to use DTS or Dolby digital on a non-traditional way. You're raspberry pi can send an "audio" serial signal down a USB to a 7.1channel audio decoder. Each channel can be used to vibrate a motor or other devices worn by the "subject".ive been using a Vantec NBA-200U on an old desktop with a defunct audio card. It works great but I don't know if you can send 2Hz or 20Hz audio don't the USB and get a motor to vibrate or if those very low frequencies get filtered.

The Ultrasonic Sensors when connected give a signal to the Arduino after it sends the signal out and waits for it to come back, since I'll be utilizing all sound and distance detection through there, I was thinking the Motion Sensors connected to the Pi would send out signals after the motion and IR heat signals are detected but with a small addition that the sensors would also monitor the signals and measure distances and range as well, just like the Ultrasonic Sensors would. I was thinking of using the Pi's for more of the HUD portion and sensors where the device would display my info from them and where the Arduino would control the other kinds of sensors and output the camera system (about 4 -6) and such, this way to split the commands down the middle for each to handle a set amount of commands.

I'm not sure what kind of IR heat sensors you plan to use or how you plan to determine range with an IR heat sensor. I am confused about other things in your posts but, no need to spill too many beans, let us know when you have specific challenges.

I apologize if my somewhat vagueness has confused you, my only specific challenges within this project is simply writing the codes and sketches necessary and testing this device once everything is connected. However, I obviously know the more components added, the more items being brought into the assembly, the more complex and integrated this project will be. So only the code part is my biggest issue at this very moment and if anything for the remainder of the project. For I am already with essentially all the parts needed to assemble this it's just me writing out and getting the codes and sketches right, that and being stuck inside with a Chromebook that won't even allow me to download or use any web based resource to upload my sketch and codes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back