Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

connecting a Biquad Antenna to a Wireless-G Range Expander????

Status
Not open for further replies.

wessconnors

connecting a Biquad Antenna to a Wireless-G Range Expander????

What i want to do is make a long range sniffer and connect it to my 2.16 ghz intel core 2 duo macbook.

I can not connect a antenna directly to my macbook

So i was thinking i could connect a biquad to the wireless-g range expander. And then pick up the wireless signal with my macbook.

Would this work properly????? doing that would this setup not only pic up the whole naberhoods wifi for me to pic from plus send
out the amplified signal to the whole naberhood as well.

also with the wireless-g range expander is there a way to password protect the signal's i pic up and retransmit.

in the end i quess i just wish i could just connect the biquad to my airport card in my macbook. but dont wana crack open a brand new comp.

i will post my pics of my very interesting biquad construction when i am done
im a cable guy and access to some good parts

wessconnors@hotmail.com

Why don't you buy a new wireless card for the mac that has an external antenna? They make wi-fi units that use USB 2.0 ports. No one said you HAD to use the integrated wi-fi on the mac.

biquad antenna

thanks for the info thats prob what im going to do is get a usb wireless card.
any good links to modify a linksys usb key would be great if you know any

also i would like to know if my idea with the range extender would actualy work to connect my biquad antenna to and retransmit my sniffed out wireless to my macbook.

(which in reply to a private comment im not trying to steal wireless. Im trying to make easy ways for me to pic up my wireless while on my boat and also sniff out and pick up my free wifi provided by my marina ware i keep my boat. im told i can do this over water up to 10 miles away. )

also i just have alot of interest in how this thing works

It would be trival to tap the antenna on a USB key IF you can get the key itself open. A lot of small USB devices have their cases fused shut, which means if you want to alter them generally you have to saw or break the package open, you need a light touch to avoid hurting the PCB or a components inside, and then you have a naked exposed board to work with. Modifying the extender would be easier. Keep in mind, at ranges further than typical wifi setups (a few thousand feet) for you won't get a signal no matter what antenna you use if you don't also modify the settings in the registry for the software, they have a packet send/receive timeout that needs to be modified even if the RF front end can pick it up. I've heard of modified wi-fi setups in the country hitting 20+ miles line of site.

10 miles is very unlikely. Both antennas would have to be very directional and pointed at each other. Best bet is a GSRM modem card. That is if your cell works out in the middle of the lake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back