Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Configuration Word Of Pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

raedbenz

HI..SOME PIC's THE CONFIGURATION IS LIKE ( __CONFIG _CP_OFF&_WDT_OFF&_PWRTE_ON&_XT_OSC ),

AND OTHERS LIKE THE FOLLOWING EXAMPLE,

LIST P=16F628
#include "P16F628.inc"
__config 0x3F18;----------CONFIGURATION WORD-------------

SO WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE ?AND WHY DID WE WRITE (_CONFIG 0x3F18)?FROM WHERE DID WE GET THESE VALUES..? IS THERE ANY TABLES EXPLANES THE CONFIHURATION WORDS?

The first method is self-explanatory. Instead, when you write a hexadecimal value, it's difficult to recall what's the function of each bit you're setting or clearing and you should convert the value with the binary notation first.
For example 0x3F18 is 11111100011000. Then check the datasheet of your PIC. The Configuration Word is described there.

Last edited:
raedbenz said:
HI..SOME PIC's THE CONFIGURATION IS LIKE ( __CONFIG _CP_OFF&_WDT_OFF&_PWRTE_ON&_XT_OSC ),

AND OTHERS LIKE THE FOLLOWING EXAMPLE,

LIST P=16F628
#include "P16F628.inc"
__config 0x3F18;----------CONFIGURATION WORD-------------

SO WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE ?AND WHY DID WE WRITE (_CONFIG 0x3F18)?FROM WHERE DID WE GET THESE VALUES..? IS THERE ANY TABLES EXPLANES THE CONFIHURATION WORDS?

For a start please don't use all capital letters, it's considered shouting and rude!.

Both examples give exactly the same result, personally I use the second method because I can't be bothered to do all the typing for the first - which is also obviously far more prone to making a mistake. My programmer software WinPicProg displays the hexadecimal fuse on screen as you select the options you want, so I simply use the value that gives me.

Hi,
So simple and nice conept,sir, instead of typing the whole lot.
thanks for the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back