Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

computer current

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

i want to power a computer from a 12V battery. so:

how much current does an average mother board need for both 12V and 5V? it's something like a pentium 1 or 2
Can i somehow use the one battery for both +12V and -12V (and +/-5V)

it is an older one so it just has the old AT power supply, what are all the connections needed? - there's +/-5V, +/- 12V, ground, and something else i don't know what it is.

i was going to just build some high power regulators to run it. is this the best idea?
I have already powered the CD rom drive and hard drive using 12V and 5V regulators.

Thanks for any help, i'm making a portable jukebox.

Josh.

The current requirements can be quite high, you really need a switchmode PSU - there are plenty of designs on the web for in-car MP3 players using computer boards. If you search on this board it's been discussed previously, and there's even a circuit posted.

A quick search found this - https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/how-a-transistor-works.4806/

To power something like a computer from a car battery will last no more than 5 hours. Since your running a pentium 2 i would think you need about 200 watts.

I would use something like an inverter to boost voltages upto 240/120v. Your monitor needs 240 volts remember!!

pike said:
To power something like a computer from a car battery will last no more than 5 hours. Since your running a pentium 2 i would think you need about 200 watts.

I would use something like an inverter to boost voltages upto 240/120v. Your monitor needs 240 volts remember!!

there a step up transformer in a CRT monitor for us 110 guys?

well i was going to use an LCD monitor which runs on 12V! but i'd like to use a switchmode step down power supply so that it's economical, coz it's running off a battery. so is there a schematic of a 12 to 5 volt switchmode at about 10-12 amps?

Thanks for help

Josh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back