Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Computer Controlled Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

flumesoft

Hey,

I'm knew to this forum and eletronics almost all together. But something i would really like to make is a Switch that can be turned on/off by my computer.

I'm 13 so i nothing to dangerous. I will use something that runs of like 12v at the most.

Also i have a pic programmer which i brought not sure if it would suit this project.

Also cause i'm 13 i'm kinda low on cash so as cheap as possible.

flumesoft said:
Hey,

I'm knew to this forum and eletronics almost all together. But something i would really like to make is a Switch that can be turned on/off by my computer.

I'm 13 so i nothing to dangerous. I will use something that runs of like 12v at the most.

Also i have a pic programmer which i brought not sure if it would suit this project.

Also cause i'm 13 i'm kinda low on cash so as cheap as possible.

hi,
Download and unzip the attached zip, read thru it and learn how to use the PC's parallel port.

Load the DLL's in your Windows/System folder, get the VB5 runtime files from the web , free.

Use the test program to operate the PC port..

Do you follow.?

Last edited:
You need to give us more information, like what it will be driving. This is important for the design because that would tell us what the power requirements for sink and source currents.

Don't be afraid to tell use your whole idea so we can better help to get it done. There are tons of very talented people here who will give you tons of ideas/advise:)

Cheers,
-BaC

I would suggest by starting off with a simple transistor switch. 2N3906 transistor is a simple switch. Get yourself a 9V battery, some LED's, and a transistor from radio shack. Figure out how to turn that on and off and then move onto using the computer to do that.

BaCaRdi said:
You need to give us more information, like what it will be driving. This is important for the design because that would tell us what the power requirements for sink and source currents.

Don't be afraid to tell use your whole idea so we can better help to get it done. There are tons of very talented people here who will give you tons of ideas/advise:)

Cheers,
-BaC

Well. I am a programmer mostly .NET languages and i was thinking how cool it would be if you could some how like control lights through a simple program. I want to start at low voltage so i don't kill my self. So i will have to find a powerful light for that voltage. Also i can't use radioshack cause i'm aussie and i havn't seen any over here

Thanks,
Flumesoft

flumesoft said:
Also ericgibbs does that mean the parrellel port will be the PSU

hi,
The port can supply about 12mA to 20mA, at a voltage of about +3V to +4V.
The port drive capabilty does vary a lot from PC to PC.

If you just want to light an LED, a 220R resistor in series with a RED LED will light when the port pin is High.

Its usual to use a external power supply, a simple 'wall wart' with a regulated output of +5V would drive most logic.
If you have a USB connector on the PC, you could use the +5v at the USB connector, dont draw more than say, 250mA

If you want to control 'mains' powered devices, use opto-isolators or relays.

Does this help.?

Yes,

Thanks everyone for your help.

I was wondering weather you had any code that could turn the usb device on/off.

-Thank again

flumesoft said:
Yes,

-Thank again

hi,
No, I dont have that USB control code, others may have.

If its a desk top PC, a source of external low voltage 'dc' which is often not considered, is using the PC's 'spare' regulated supplies.

Some/most PC's have spare disk drive connectors dangling inside the case.
A convenient connector, is the old 3inch floppy drive power connector, its got +5V and +12V on the pins.

Its a 0.1inch pitch socket, so a Molex plug could be wired to provide external power.
I would strongly recommend that the outgoing +5V and +12V be fused, at say 1Amp.

Mating male connectors can also be bought for the larger connectors used on hard/CD drives.

Do you follow.?

Have you thought of looking at x-10 devices, specifically the TW7223: Opto-isolated from mains:)
https://www.automatedhome.co.uk/Reviews/X10-2-Way-Interface-TW7223-Review.html

All you will need to do is put an appliance module on what you want to control, they have ones for Inductive loads as well. You can use .Net to talk to the Tw7223 and control the device;

**broken link removed**

With a little coding you can create a home controller, even on the Web, and with the 2-way device you can read the current state of the appliance(2-way supported appliance modules of course).

-BaC

Last edited:
flumesoft said:
Yes,

-Thank again

If you want to turn things on and off with USB look at the USB bitwacker project. **broken link removed**

The sample code is written in BASIC but it is easy enough to use with any of the .NET languages. I have used C#.NET. The software fakes a COM port but it runs at USB speeds and is very easy to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back