Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Computer controlled relays

Status
Not open for further replies.

numptyboy

Hello, I am new to this forum so if i'm repeating somebody elses thread i apologise. I was hoping maybe somebody could put me on the right path. What i am after is to be able to control multiple switches/relays somehow through my computer.
This will be used mainly for home automation/security but i think if it is possible the limitations are endless. I know about X10 controllers etc but i thought it could be possible to build something on the cheap that connected to my serial port and use this to do it, this unit could drive smaller relays to switch larger ones. I am familiar(ish) with electronics, if such a thing could be made and if it would need building from scratch i would give it a good go. One thing I'm rubbish at is anything that needs any code writing for it, this would be beneficial if it was something already written and open sourced that i could use and donate funds to!
The unit doesn't really need two way communication, but this would be a bonus (ie confirmation of switching on/off) but if 2 way comms wasan option then PIR's could be monitored some how.
I have done the obvious searching on the internet but to no prevail.
If anyone can help, please do. If not, then am gonna have to use something like X10!
If any of you electronic genius could build something not overly expensive then i's sure i could re-imburse you for your time and materials!

Thanks...

What you want is on the net, but you may not have looked in the right place or asked the right question.
Try out this site:
**broken link removed**
Although it is related to christmas light control, it can be adapted to almost any control purpose with the right hardware/software. There are 3 main controller variations listed in the "How To" section, along with various other supporting output switch (SSR) devices. (The 74HC595 based system is the most simple to build). All these systems are designed to run off the parallel port and are quite fast, much faster than any serial port system could ever be.
2 way communications is not addressed, but surely is possible. (I know because I have built my own prototype system that does it)
Read all the site has to offer, even the discussion threads and check out the other site links on the subject.

Dialtone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back