Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Complete Newb, Electromagnet&Pulse Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rwings39

I have very little idea what I'm doing. I have experience with SOME DC electronics outside the computer chip, for lack of a better term, but don't know too much about the components found on the chip itself. So, I could figure out how to work with motors, lights, etc. The final product type of stuff, but not how to adjust them? Something like that....

Currently I'm trying to take a small electromagnet (which is yet to be made) and create a constant, but adjustable "pulse" or strobe effect with the electricity going into it. I'm not sure how to do that. If I knew even just the name of a part or parts that can create a pulsed DC signal, then i could probably figure out how to do it, but I'm not even sure what I'm looking for.

In other words, I would like the small electromagnet to basically go on-off-on-off..... and so on. I'm not sure on the power source yet, it depends on the parts available. I suppose I need to be able to adjust the duration of each pulse for how long it is both "On" AND "Off". Would I need to use one or multiple potentiometers or something similar?

As you can tell, I have very little clue how to do this, but it's a project I've had in mind for quite a while now and would like to try it out, as I now will have some funding to do so.

Thank you for any help, suggestions, or sources of information you can give me.
Nick

Last edited:
So what is your intentions for this pulsed electromagnet? In other words, what is it for?

I'm basically trying to take a small single piston 2-stroke R/C car engine and make it run off of this electromagnet, instead of a glow plug and fuel. The fabrication side of this is more my specialty. I'm not sure how to go about making the electric pulse for the magnet though. It needs to be adjustable on the fly because it needs to be able to be timed to the piston in the engine.

Intriguing idea but have you considered the amount of battery power needed to do this? Nitro works fairly well, what would be the advantage of using a battery hungry motor?

To me, it seems the added battery weight alone would negate any benefit.

But do tell me more. :)

I see a few flaws in your plan. You would need piston sleeves that were non reactive to electromagnets such as aluminum, you would also need pistons that were made of material that would respond to electromagnets. How would you place your electromagnets so that they may effect the pistons? Would not the piston sleeve present a problem?

I guess I don't see your big picture. Remember, public disclosure is a form of patent and proves your the originator of an idea, so do tell. :)

Last edited:
To be honest, it's not even for the car itself. If I get to that point, great, but it's mostly just a personal challenge to see if I can actually get it to work. I don't even own an engine or R/C car yet. Or at least not anymore. I was just going to buy a cheapy engine on ebay or a used one if I can find one locally and then get the other parts. But first I need to know that it's even possible to make an adjustable pulse electromagnet and also how to go about making the circuit.

Besides, who else would have an electromagnet powered R/C car? Haha

Well, since you insist...

Now that I think of it, I may be better off trying to make my own simple piston for starters rather than using an R/C engine (still not sure). I was thinking a steel/iron piston head (or at least partially to react to the magnet), aluminum engine block/sleeve to NOT react with it. And I'd have the electromagnet mounted in a machined aluminum head I could make no problem.

I think you might be better off trying to scratch a steel ball with a feather as I sense you have not thought things through.

You need to take a more methodological approach to this. You have a vision, and you must consider what is required to make it work. I think you have neglected a few steps and your electronic issues are to say the least, the least of your problems. Grab your scratch pad, work out your vision, perhaps post your scratch notes and see where it goes. Otherwise I am afraid you are pissing up a rope.

Well, since you insist...

Now that I think of it, I may be better off trying to make my own simple piston for starters rather than using an R/C engine (still not sure). I was thinking a steel/iron piston head (or at least partially to react to the magnet), aluminum engine block/sleeve to NOT react with it. And I'd have the electromagnet mounted in a machined aluminum head I could make no problem.

The iron piston would wear out the aluminum sleeve very quickly, and I doubt electromagnets would work very well through aluminum. Best bet would be a composite sleeve. Maybe, I dunno ?

I've got the mechanism down. It's so much simpler than a combustion engine. You don't need to worry about compression or any of that kind of stuff. No, gases, no explosions, no vacuum. It's really as basic as a magnetically reactive piston head attached inside a non-reactive engine body and head. I've considered all of that in my head for many months now. The part I don't understand is the electronics side of it, which is why I came here, hoping someone can help me out with that.

I'll give you that, that the iron piston would wear out an aluminum sleeve, which is why it's not necessary to have an all iron piston head. In this small of scale it could be a simple piece of steel in or on an aluminum piston head. And I the electromagnet would have nothing to go through to react with the iron/steel. It would be directly over the opening of the sleeve straight on top of the piston head when it's up.

I've got the mechanism down. It's so much simpler than a combustion engine. You don't need to worry about compression or any of that kind of stuff. No, gases, no explosions, no vacuum. It's really as basic as a magnetically reactive piston head attached inside a non-reactive engine body and head. I've considered all of that in my head for many months now. The part I don't understand is the electronics side of it, which is why I came here, hoping someone can help me out with that.

Well, I think your are going to need more help than what can be provided here. You need a software coder, and possibly a hardware guy.To do what you propose will require specific timing on the magnets as well as proper drive to the magnets. I would suggest you look for a co-partner to assist you that has the expertise that you need. This is hardly something that can be done on a net forum. Well that is my opinion anyways. Perhaps others may disagree and offer more assistance. I salute your idea, sounds cool, and good luck.

Thank you
Nick

Don't let my words discourage you, all I am saying is that your problem is beyond my know how. Perhaps other readers might have better suggestions.

I understand. I'm not discouraged in the least and I'm still trying to figure this out. I'm hoping to do it relatively inexpensively, and if possible, without software. I completely appreciate your help and input and look forward to other peoples' posts as well. And again, thank you.

I do not see what you propose possible without software.

Weekends are slow, you will get more input during the week.

Last edited:
Like I said, electronics aren't my strong point. Mechanisms and fabrication are. I'm not really sure what IS possible because I don't know what components are available. (To be honest, I come up with better ideas when I don't have those limitation of "knowing what's possible")

I'm guessing I could probably jerry-rig some sort of Rube Goldberg-esque device if necessary. I could take a motor and some contacts and create the pulse depending on how fast the motor is spinning and the size of and distance between the contacts, but I figured there might be something ready-made I could wire in-line with the motor and speed control equipment.

But yea, not sure what's out there. I'll probably keep checking back during the week to see if anything shows up.

Just out of curiosity, would this be possible to have a light come on and off at an adjustable pulse rate? I'd imagine the circuit would be very similar if not identical, but it just seems like a simpler thing to describe.

It seems to me that you can do the same amount of work with a DC motor and less hardware, I still fail to see any advantage to your idea, but then again who am I to say your idea is without merit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back