Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Compatibility of Receiver, ESC, and motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hesitate to say yes, being that your motor is rated at 350 watts which is about 15 amps at it's rated power. But when a motor is stalled it draws more current which may be over the 25A peak the ESC is rated at, so it depends on the DC resistance of the motor. Do you have a multimeter you can check the motor with?

Yes, test the ohm resistance across the motor leads.

resistance on motor

ok, when i get it, I will do that. it's in the mail. what would you say is the minimum resistance required for the 20 amp controller, >1.2 ohms?

Although the voltage will sag when you're drawing heavy currents 24 volts at 25 amps (the peak of the ESC) is .96 ohms. When the motor is actually free running the current is going to drop quiet a bit, but that DC resistance gives you the absolute worse case scenario.
What are you planning to power this with?

No, what I meant is what kind of battery pack will you be using for the motor itself?

Last edited:
That's not the greatest ESC, even for RC cars. A peak of 25A is nothing. Most good ESCs will handle peak currents of quite a few hundred amps, with continuous only being limited by the wire you're using.

I used to use Novak ESCs when I was into it, but that was over 15 years ago now. Not sure what the current product lines look like.

That one looks like it's more for 12th scale (or smaller) or possibly for planes.

Last edited:
That's not the greatest ESC, even for RC cars. A peak of 25A is nothing. Most good ESCs will handle peak currents of quite a few hundred amps, with continuous only being limited by the wire you're using.

I agree, that's a really puny litle ESC - for normal small RC cars you use 90A continuous ones, I suspect a 20A one would die the first time you used it?.

I would expect a 350W motor to require an ESC in the 100's of amps - it's RobotWars sort of model size.

The bike motor is 24V.
Where will you put a huge 24V battery on a model car? In a trailer?

RC cars? The weight is good for them, they usually put NiCad packs in large flatpacks just inside the frame down low. Keep the weight low and it's a win win for stability and traction. Cars tend to still use Nicads because they can dump huge power.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back