Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Compass-Hall effect sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJ33

Hello,

I want to use a compass sensor for my robot (determine position).
Will the Hall Effect (Magnet) Sensor SS 495A do the work? Will it give me a position relative to Earth's magnetic field?
In the documentation is says that it can be used as a position sensor, but I am slightly confused on how to make the circuit.
Documentation: https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1676927.pdf
Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
I doubt that would work well, or at all.

Your best option is one of the 9 or 10 degrees of freedom accelerometer boards, which are readily available on ebay at low prices.
eg.

Those include a three axis compass, plus three axis accelerometer and gyro functions.

No, not in any practical way.
The Earth's magnetic field strength is a fraction of one gauss; that sensor is designed to measure fields in the range of hundreds of gauss.

It needs a vastly more sensitive type of detector to use as practical compass.

Hypothetically, If those were the only possible sensor:

You could use a normal magnetic compass then mount several of those around it, probably four (or possibly more, however many needed), so the orientation of the magnetic compass needle could be worked out by comparing the outputs of the hall sensors...

But I don't think those alone would be usable to give a reliable and stable compass reading, even with lot of extra electronics to amplify the outpurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back