comparison and contrast between PIC and PEEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigjoke

I am a newbie (but i think close to intermediate level) in designing micro controllers particularly PIC16 F876A. I was just hoping if you guys could help me in comparing and contrasting between PIC device and PEEL device. I was working for PCM communication system and designed the receiver part using PIC while The transmitter part using PEEL. The knowledge of PCM system is irrelevant here.

I would really appreciate if you could mention what you think are good similarities and differences in terms of ease of design/simulation and programming- stuff like that between PIC and PEEL device. Really would appreciate your comments

By the way Jay.slovak is a legend. everyone(newbie) shud check his sticky tutorial.

it's comparing apples and oranges. PICs are microcontrollers, PEELs are programmable logic devices. the differences between microcontrollers and PLD/FPGA/CPLD/etc has been discussed before on this forum, I'm sure you can find something.

Microcontrollers execute a program, PLD's implement a logic design. I think it should be relatively self-evident which one would be more suitable for a given application. In many cases, either one would be suitable, however PLD's are far less common among hobbyists. Writing a program is often much simpler than coming up with a complex logic design to do the same thing, especially if you would have to implement a bunch of sequential logic to do so. PLD's seem to be more suitable where you are dealing with a lot of I/O, particularly at high speeds and/or where you need to do a lot of things in parallel.

Thanks dude

The reason i asked for the differences was that i designed the PCM transmitter part of system using PEEL and it did convert the analog signal into digital to be fed into Receiver of PCM just as i was expecting and it worked. Now if i want to convince myself that PIC is better than PEEL not just for transmitter but also for Receiver, what differences shud i note. I have found good points in your post but was hoping if you could elaborate a little.

Cheers

I don't have any experience with building PCM systems like you are working with so I can't really say whether PIC would be any "better" or not. As I said, it should be apparent to you whether a logic design is a good solution to your problem or not - if logic is working out well, then by all means - use whatever gets the job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…