Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

comparison and contrast between PIC and PEEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigjoke

I am a newbie (but i think close to intermediate level) in designing micro controllers particularly PIC16 F876A. I was just hoping if you guys could help me in comparing and contrasting between PIC device and PEEL device. I was working for PCM communication system and designed the receiver part using PIC while The transmitter part using PEEL. The knowledge of PCM system is irrelevant here.

I would really appreciate if you could mention what you think are good similarities and differences in terms of ease of design/simulation and programming- stuff like that between PIC and PEEL device. Really would appreciate your comments

By the way Jay.slovak is a legend. everyone(newbie) shud check his sticky tutorial.

it's comparing apples and oranges. PICs are microcontrollers, PEELs are programmable logic devices. the differences between microcontrollers and PLD/FPGA/CPLD/etc has been discussed before on this forum, I'm sure you can find something.

Microcontrollers execute a program, PLD's implement a logic design. I think it should be relatively self-evident which one would be more suitable for a given application. In many cases, either one would be suitable, however PLD's are far less common among hobbyists. Writing a program is often much simpler than coming up with a complex logic design to do the same thing, especially if you would have to implement a bunch of sequential logic to do so. PLD's seem to be more suitable where you are dealing with a lot of I/O, particularly at high speeds and/or where you need to do a lot of things in parallel.

Thanks dude

The reason i asked for the differences was that i designed the PCM transmitter part of system using PEEL and it did convert the analog signal into digital to be fed into Receiver of PCM just as i was expecting and it worked. Now if i want to convince myself that PIC is better than PEEL not just for transmitter but also for Receiver, what differences shud i note. I have found good points in your post but was hoping if you could elaborate a little.

Cheers

I don't have any experience with building PCM systems like you are working with so I can't really say whether PIC would be any "better" or not. As I said, it should be apparent to you whether a logic design is a good solution to your problem or not - if logic is working out well, then by all means - use whatever gets the job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back