Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Colour sortex machine circuit design

Status
Not open for further replies.
I grabbed a picture just before it captured a nut.
View attachment 119356
The next frame the nut is sucked into a pipe.

Watch the video from 148 to 149 the head moves forward. (when there is only one nut to grab)

Yep...and the cameras are well before the picker (red arrow) I think.

Yep...and the cameras are well before the picker (red arrow) I think.
I was just trying to get a good picture of that area. The light is very bright. There must be a reason. We once used a line camera for a job like this. 100x1 camera. The price of cameras are so low I would use a "normal" camera. Even if the software was set up to do 1000x1 camera I would use a normal camera and just study one line of pixels.

I was just trying to get a good picture of that area. The light is very bright. There must be a reason. We once used a line camera for a job like this. 100x1 camera. The price of cameras are so low I would use a "normal" camera. Even if the software was set up to do 1000x1 camera I would use a normal camera and just study one line of pixels.

The bright light reminds me of a scanner. I think they could be using several kinds of imaging. It really is pretty cool.

If I am seeing correctly, in the video it looks like they are sucking the bad almonds up through that hose...to be used in something else I suppose.

What do you think that machine costs? Over 100K?

That maybe how they're doing it in that video, what I was trying to say was, that isn't how industry does it, the video your talking about is way too slow, you might as well have a human sitting there doing it. It is more of a 'picker' than a sorter. Look at how the companies making the sorters do it , with air jets at much higher speed.

From the video: (just a still picture)

This looks good. The air jets do not have to be in a row, "128 in a line" but could be 32 in 4 rows offset to make 128 wide.
The software will have to be made very fast. The camera is maybe 1-2 inches above the jets. You will not have to think about belt speed or variations in belt speed.

I worked on the automation controls in a pea processing plant many years ago. They had several colour sorters for separating out mis-coloured peas. It was a bit simpler technology than the Bühler machine, but it had to process in the tonnes/hour range, so it was considerably faster. The flow of peas was split into one of 128 (or maybe 256) parallel narrow chutes, and instead of a camera, there was a simple colour discriminating photosensor in each chute that would trigger the puff of air to push the rejects into a side chute. It was quite impressive to watch in operation, especially when separating a 50:50 mix of green and yellow peas that, ahem, someone, had accidentally put into the same storage bin.

There was an eposode of "How it's Made" on yesterday (7/28/19) about this. After going through all of the optical sorters, conveyor "pickers", the last thing before packaging was a group of humans picking out the ones the machines missed! Think it was the Blue Diamond almond plant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back