Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

College Applied Math

Status
Not open for further replies.

tperk1

I'm going to school trying to earn a degree in Electronics Engineering, I'm in my third term of Applied Algebra: contd. Linear algebra, Geometry, Trig, etc.. I'm having to take electives like philosophy, group dynamics, etc. classes created to eat up my financial aide - it's killing me. I'm wanting to switch to part-time because all the bull **** classes are exhausting me and screwing up my G.P.A., as well as my funds. I'm not shirking away from the math work, I'm just asking an opinion Want I want to know is which of the Math disciplines is most widely used, or you find using most in your electronic. professions, or by a EET tech? I know the cornerstones of electronic laws i.e. Ohm's law & Kirchhoff Law 1&2. and other formulas that I learn from reading books. and sites like this. So if you could let me know what arithmetic areas I can expect to see a lot more of once I actually make it into the lab, Thank you.

tperk1,

I'm just asking an opinion Want I want to know is which of the Math disciplines is most widely used, or you find using most in your electronic. professions, or by a EET tech?

Differential equations. However, you cannot expect to excel if you do not also have a good knowledge of other math disciplines such as vector analysis.

Ratch

Algebra and Trig are also useful.

Hello,

Differential equations, and in most colleges you'll need all the required prerequisites like algebra, trig, and calculus, which you need anyway. That will introduce you to a number of things.
Also matrices and related, which you probably have to go into separately.
Numerical methods (various, including numerical solutions of DE's).

You'd probably take algebra and trig first, then calculus, then DE's. You can throw in matrices at some point too after algebra and trig.

Algebra and trig and maybe precalculus 1 to 2 semesters, calculus 2 to 3 semesters, DE's 1 semester. Total sequence 4 to 6 semesters.

Last edited:
It is an applied Math course...

... which I haven't found any apps. (electronics) to use except Algebra. I messed up When I said I'm in my third-semester we actually use ten-week terms (Moving to semesters in 2012). I'm currently in all the required prerequisites like algebra, trig, but I've also touched on Matrices which took 1 week to cover. Also our college prints it's own books for there Math course's. The thing I'm really discouraged about is their not using a building block approach where you conquer one section and use it to move on to the next where it applies; the lessons jump all over the place instead of following a linear course outlined. tha's why I asked for the opinions. Thanks a bunch by the way. I'm still pretty far away from the disciplines you all have mentioned, but I'll keep at it!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back