Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cold boot circuit / cap constant current with override

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACharnley

HI All,

After an extra pair of eyes to see if I've made any cock-ups with this circuit. The requirements are on the screenshot.

This is a cold-boot circuit, it charges some small super-caps to a "turn-on" level of around 2.2v, a boost then enables, turns on an MCU and it shuts down the circuit. It's required because the super-caps have a high-ish impedance of 14 ohm. If current were to run-away the voltage would trigger a "false start" on the boost, the MCU would turn off the circuit and the voltage would sag, tripping the MCU off.

Another circuit then charges the caps efficiently through switch-mode. Thus the point in this circuit is to get the caps to the initial turn-on in a shorter time than a resistor while surviving up to 100v when turned off.

The input supply is a low impedance so sags heavily under load. Under no load 100v is possible, under max load at 500mA it's 20V. Realistically I can expect no more then half that, but they are the extremities.

You can see that the cold-boot (2.2v) should occur at 12 seconds. If the MCU fails to take over (very odd) there is a fail-safe which stops the caps going beyond the rated value.

Screenshot_2020-01-30_12-31-20.png

Query - power input supply is limited to 500mA (incorrectly modeled here) but I've set the current limit of the cold-boot to 180mA via R4, a little below the continuous current rating of the transistors. In real-life the power input is a half-wave rectified signal. What would happen if I set R4 to permit 500mA - will the transistor degrade or will the heat limit the gain and self-regulate it? (due to space requirements I can't use larger transistors). Note that if I draw 500mA from the supply then the absolute max input voltage is 20v. Assuming the caps are at 0.01v, that's 0.5*20 = 10W initial dissipation. Obviously these SOT-363 transistors can't do anything close (0.2W) so I'm expecting that at worse case input extremities they would get hot and burn-out unless self-regulated by reduced gain.

Attachments

• ttl_pre_vreg.asc
    2.4 KB · Views: 162
  • Screenshot_2020-01-30_12-36-12.png
    Screenshot_2020-01-30_12-36-12.png
    132.5 KB · Views: 167
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back