Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

coil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielsmusic

i had seen on tv that if you put a coil around a plastic pipe you can charge it and use it like a solinoid is this correct. :?

A solenoid is a long thin coil of wire. Depending on the application there may be several layers of windings to the solenoid.
To produce this coil of wire, you need a former of some kind, on to which you can wind the wire.
Here the plastic pipe is the former.
As simple as that!

JimB

this is a long bit os drain pipe. and i have wraped around 3 core wire.
will a car battery do? it don't work. if a put a magnet on top if just twitches when i put current throught the wire any ideas? :?

danielsmusic said:
this is a long bit os drain pipe. and i have wraped around 3 core wire.
will a car battery do? it don't work. if a put a magnet on top if just twitches when i put current throught the wire any ideas? :?

How many turns of wire have you put round?, you need a LOT!.

There are many sites about coil guns, try reading a few.

im not quite sure, i have done half the pipe with 3 core wire. there is i layer if tha is what you mean.

Attachments

• bild_004.jpg
    bild_004.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 321
I just made an coilgun yesterday and its still asembeld on my desk.

Capacitors are the key!

I used four 10 000 uF 64 V.I got an iron rod flying at 30 km/h

I had to put some heavy stuff on the platform to keep it from sliding backwards and off the table.

The capacitatator are in a voltage dubler and are charged to around 100V i have an 0,2 Ohm coil so there is about 500 Amps of curent rushing trough the coil.I used 1 mm wire and it got a litle warm after fireing.

You can see a comented photo of what did in the "show us your workbench" topic

I can tell you more if you want.

This is how it looks like to switch 500 Amps whith two coper wires.

I now put the switch in a cardboard box so that the bright flash dosent blind me.

Attachments

• spark.jpg
    spark.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 302
i could never charge it to 500 amps. at 100v i have a 19000 MFD cap.
and a 22000 uF cap will they do on a car battery?

danielsmusic said:
im not quite sure, i have done half the pipe with 3 core wire. there is i layer if tha is what you mean.

That's not much of a solenoid!, it won't generate much of a field at all.

You might notice that other people are using ball point pen sized tubes, LOT'S of coil windings, and 100V capacitors with discharge currents in the 100's of amps.

This is a far more realistic approach, by using a drainpipe and three core mains cable, you probably couldn't afford to buy the wire to make a decent coil?.

U used an ball wiret tube and about 3 m of 1mm wire for the coil.

To get the same power you wod need silishly low resistance coils and horibly high curents.

Tell me the values and voltages of big caps that you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back