Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cmos Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectroGeek_87

I have a question. What can I ground myself to to eliminate any chance of frying my PIC microcontollers :?: does it have to be like a earth ground.

Thanks for the help

in a word yes........use an anti static wrist strap, choose a wet day less chance of static build up then

Don't just wire yourself to ground. If you don't use the anti-static wrist strap like chippie said, you won't have the high resistance path to ground that protects you while discharging static.

Just to add also be aware of your surroundings like what your carpet is made of also take your shoes off - that makes a big difference!
I am lucky I have 100% natural carpet (althgough not exactly my style) I can chuck my pics round the room (and often do when programs don't work lol!) and they always live to see the next 'burning' session!

One more thing,
Never wear silk, nylon or polyester clothes while handling CMOS devices. These clothes can easily generate few kilo-volts in your body.

One little thing ive often wandered before. Is it not possible for the chip it'self to be charged, and by grouding yourself and in turn picking the charged chip and hence discharging the chip in the process - now could that not damage the chip as well? does the 1M safety resistor in a strap also double up to limit the discharge?

I deal with alot of computers, and I can only give you my way doing it,

Leave the power to your computer pluged in and turn off ( computer frame still earthed, keep one hand on this while handling around the chip.

touch a large earthed device around, radiator (touching showing copper not paint ) before and anytime when you have to walk away from the computer, walking causes a bit of charge.

dont do it if your on a floor which is pron to static charge (nylon is the worst I think)

well... someone stop me if i'm wrong... just a electronics newbie

my mom acedentaly fryed one of my PICs.She likes to wear wool stuf (it gets realy charged) and one day she toced the breadbord and wean i tryed to program it:i always got an programing faild messege.

so first i toght it was the porgramer but then i put in a new PIC and it woked all the time.My mom knows nothing about electronics (shoud of told her how sensitive PICs are)

its beter to put the breadbord in an antistatic bag wen not in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back