Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Closing of Threads

Status
Not open for further replies.
"...we would like the other party to see too. But what happened in the thread is the arguing continued back and forth even after asking not to do so anymore, or at least not for a while anyway. So i think maybe when one side of the argument seems more plausible than the other side to us, maybe we should provide more proof rather than argue the same points over and over.
But i dont want to judge too strongly either. Let the arguers argue their point. But beware the very topic they are so interested in may get shut down if they cant learn to control the back and forth repetition
"

OK - these sentences sound a bit different and I agree with you. As mentioned - my only concern was your attempt to divide the thread contributors in two parties - good and bad.
However, as you probably remember - in order to clarify something, sometimes I have concentrated my contribution in one single technical question. What did I get? Again and again long and detailed explanations of a personal view, but no answer to my question.

W.

Hello again Winterstone,

Well there are the arguer's and the non arguer's, if you like that description better than the good and the bad.

But sorry to hear you did not get your answer as soon as you wanted it. One suggestion would be to PM the individual or individuals and see if that gets a good reply. Sometimes people concentrate better when they see it right in their PM box.

MrAl,

I didn't read your full thread initially, and only started reading toward the last half of it. I decided to go back and read the beginning too, since it only seems fair to do that if I comment in this thread. Nothing I read changes my comments here, but I was really surprised at the confusion there. I don't know what words can characterize that thread, but " wow! " comes to mind.

After reading, I can see you have shown remarkable patience dealing with all the side issues, while trying to get to the main point of the thread. If I were in your place, I would have given up long before the thread was closed. From now on, I'll consider you a debate-team equivalent of a Navy Seal. :)

If I had noticed the thread earlier I would have tried to contribute something along the lines you were hoping for, but when I picked it up, I just assumed it was another voltage/current control debate that never gets resolved. I can see you are aiming at something more concrete that can lead to verifiable conclusions in an engineering context. Since you do have patience, then you may try again in another thread, and, if you do, I'll try to contribute something you might find interesting.

Last edited:
MrAl,

I didn't read your full thread initially, and only started reading toward the last half of it. I decided to go back and read the beginning too, since it only seems fair to do that if I comment in this thread. Nothing I read changes my comments here, but I was really surprised at the confusion there. I don't know what words can characterize that thread, but " wow! " comes to mind.

After reading, I can see you have shown remarkable patience dealing with all the side issues, while trying to get to the main point of the thread. If I were in your place, I would have given up long before the thread was closed. From now on, I'll consider you a debate-team equivalent of a Navy Seal. :)

If I had noticed the thread earlier I would have tried to contribute something along the lines you were hoping for, but when I picked it up, I just assumed it was another voltage/current control debate that never gets resolved. I can see you are aiming at something more concrete that can lead to verifiable conclusions in an engineering context. Since you do have patience, then you may try again in another thread, and, if you do, I'll try to contribute something you might find interesting.

Hello there Steve,

Well many thanks again :)

I have been looking into the equations we were talking about in that thread over the past few days and i'd like to sum up the results. So it's going to take a little longer yet. Interesting stuff. I'd like to go into detail, but i'll wait for the thread so we are still on topic. What i would really like to see maybe is for people to improve upon them if possible.

If the thread was that far off topic, why not put the thread itself under moderation? e.g. Warning to stay on topic or the thread becomes moderated. Then note that moderation was turned on ON/OFF, everything or nothing things are never good.

If the thread was that far off topic, why not put the thread itself under moderation? e.g. Warning to stay on topic or the thread becomes moderated. Then note that moderation was turned on ON/OFF, everything or nothing things are never good.

hi Kiss,

On that particular thread which I finally Closed, I did post a warning/request to stay on topic else the thread would be closed.

The warning/request was ignored, so I closed the thread.

To prevent members who just want to argue [troll] about esoteric points which have been not been asked for by the OP, ElectroMaster is proposing introducing the option for the OP to request Moderation to 'block' the offending members making further posts to the thread.

https://www.electro-tech-online.com...-ban-particular-members-from-a-thread.135053/

In this way, hopefully, the OP will get the help he is asking for, rather than his query being buried in endless argumentative posts.

Most OP's just want a simple/basic answer to a specific question/problem

If the OP wants a more detailed explanation, let him/her ask for the information

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back