Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

clock switching coupling

Status
Not open for further replies.

col_implant

Hi,

I am designing a mixed signal system controlled by an ADuC841 microcontroller. At the moment I'm using the ADuC eval board.

In this system I generate low frequency sine waves (500Hz - 5KHz) via a direct digital synthesis generator. I'm using a switched capacitor clocking filter to process my received signal. This filter needs a clock signal at 50x the cuttoff frequency. I provide the clock signal by a timed compliamenting of a standard output pin on the ADuC. I am at the prototyping stage so as a result I have a number of boards with a lot of wires, but I have done my best to separate analogue and digital grounds.

The edge transition on the generated clock is quite sharp and there is a rather significant oscillation on it. As a result there is significant coupling of the switching onto my analogue signals.

I have attempted simple solutions such as adding a small damping resistor to the clock output. I have also tried a RC low pass filter on the signal but this only passes pulses not a proper clock. My clocked filter will work fine with a sine or squarewave signal, so a smoothed signal should work fine

Is there a way to smooth the edges of my clock signal which will eliminate the switching noise on my analogue signals.

Last edited:
Try adjusting the cutoff frequency of the RC low-pass filter to just round the clock edges slightly while still passing the clock waveform. For a 250kHz clock start with an RC of about 0.5µs.

Also send the clock signal over twisted-pair wires with the ground connection at each end close to where the clock signal is sent and received. You always want to have a short ground return path for the clock signal to minimize it's coupling into the analog circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back