Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Clearing out the attic

Status
Not open for further replies.

UTMonkey

Hi All,

While clearing out the attic (after fetching the xmas decorations down) I came across a box of some of my 2 years olds toys which had been up their for a year and half.

I inadvertently squeezed one of the cuddlies and it sprung into life - lights and sounds.

I was just really impressed that stuff can be engineered to last for so long!

Or are my expectations pretty low.

Happy holidays everyone!

Mark

2 years? For electronics that's nothing, I am surprised the battery was still okay though, usually if they're stored that long they drain and tend to leak.

Especially older electronics devices which were made with larger junctions and more discrete components if the device isn't being used there is no limit to its shelf life.

Modern ultra high density computer components might have more issues with static aging as if I'm not mistaken the junctions tend to diffuse over time because the junctions are so small and close together.

Last edited:
2 years? For electronics that's nothing, I am surprised the battery was still okay though, usually if they're stored that long they drain and tend to leak.

As long as you use good quality alkaline batteries, they don't leak - but NEVER use old non-alkaline batteries, they leak terribly.

Makes sense, most of the stuff I've ever seen that leaked were ultra generic, probably carbon cells.

You have to assume he means the battery life. I mean obviously electronics components last longer than a year and half.

The battery in my old Weston (analog) multimeter was getting weak so I replaced it a short while ago. I wrote on it when I originally installed it: "6-29-82". It's a "Panasonic Long Life" battery. It still works in an LED flashlight but it's not very bright.

Maybe he was referring to his toys when he was 2yrs old!

Might be a lithium mneary. They have a 10 year minium shelf life, and the switches on those analog meters basically left the battery completly floating when not in use. I think they have some alkaline technology that's reaching into the mainstream that will make alkalines last as long, redesigned interior structure and modified chemistry.

My memories of those toys are somewhat different. Maybe I was a bit rough with my toys. Or it was British workmanship of the 70's.

That should elicit debate from my fellow countrymen!

My memories of those toys are somewhat different. Maybe I was a bit rough with my toys. Or it was British workmanship of the 70's.

That should elicit debate from my fellow countrymen!

You could be right. I was a bit too old for toys at that point. Bought some for my nieces and nephews but did not track them. I purchased a 1 foot tall Gorilla like walking robot toy called Zog that had a long life. Maybe closer to 1980.

I watched a program the other night that categorised the 70's as the "That'll do decade" for manufacturing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back