Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cleaning A Prototype Breadboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrownOut

Banned
So I had to clean on old, dusty breadboard to finish my current project. I"ve been doing some demolition at the house, and the board was covered in a think coating of dust. I could only think to rinse it in the kitchen, but now I'm worried that water will be trapped in the contacts, and rust them. So, I'm going to bake it out on the oven. I have it set to about 100 degrees F. Hope that doesn't melt it. I'll post later how this went.

Last edited:
Just so you know, whenever I used to wash screwdrivers then blow dry them to dry them as quickly as possible. This caused them to rust right before my eyes because it makes them hot AND wet. I don't do it anymore.

Now I let them dry in a cool place for a long time or use compressed air.

Last edited:
That's discouraging. Well, the unit is in the oven. We'll see....

EDIT: It occured to me that 100 degrees isn't warm enough. I bumped to about 215.

Last edited:
So I had to clean on old, dusty breadboard to finish my current project. I"ve been doing some demolition at the house, and the board was covered in a think coating of dust. I could only thing to rinse it in the kitchen, but now I'm worried that water will be trapped in the contacts, and rust them. So, I'm going to bake it out on the oven. I have it set to about 100 degrees F. Hope that doesn't melt it. I'll post later how this went.

When I demo'ed the kitchen and such old house I was using a mask. Very helpful don't fault on protection never know what will be lurking in the darkness if it's an old home like mine. Fungus, mold, etc. Air it out while working. Fans etc. :)

Good will working.

kv:)

Sometimes I wish I had a vacuum chamber for this kind of thing lol. Just boil that water right out at room temperature!

breadboards are really inexpensive... unless this is one of the nice ones mounted on a special board with gold contacts (which wouldnt rust)...

to me it wouldnt be worth the hassle troubleshooting a circuit where there *could* be a short caused by water or a bad connection caused by rust...

Waste not, want not. I endevor to keep my gear in good repair. I don't throw things away until they are totally worn out.

I thought breadboards contacts were plated aren't they? At least every one I've seen is.

Yes the contacts are plated. That does give them a certain amount of immunity to corrosion. Still, I just wanted to make sure I got every bit of moisture out of them.

I suppose you could measure the resistance between adjacent tracks to verify they're open circuit.

You don't say where you are, but if it were me, I would leave it in my car during the day with the windows rolled up. I've measured the air temp to be 140F (60C) in there when it's as hot as it was today (92F, 33C). I would just leave it in there all day when I'm at work; a day or two would probably do the trick. =)
Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back