Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Class X, class Y capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr pepper

Most Helpful Member
I'm familiar with class x and y so called safety caps.
I just heard that there is another rating that replaces both of these, is this true, how can one cap replace one that fails open and another that fails short?

Maybe what is new is the standard...

class y caps dont fail short...very few things fail short.........they may burn to a short for a small interval, but the short will burn itself out and go open.........for things to fail, and stay as a short circuit, their short circuit current is usually limited by something so that they dont burn open.

how can one cap replace one that fails open and another that fails shor

it is one of those things invented by a physicist. A "meta-failure" - both open and closed at the same time.
I think they are marketed as "Schrödinger's Cap".

Schrödinger's Cap
It took a while to find a picture of Schrodinger with his Cap. As a adult he was never pictured with one.
1583034295335.png

It took a while to find a picture of Schrodinger with his Cap. As a adult he was never pictured with one.

I hope I don't have to explain...?

Last edited:
it is one of those things invented by a physicist. A "meta-failure" - both open and closed at the same time.
I think they are marketed as "Schrödinger's Cap".

I hope I don't have to explain...?

please do.

Schrodinger's Cap is a reference to "Schrodinger's Cat" thought experiment were he compares nuclear decay of a specific atom to whether a cat in a box is alive or dead - he describes the cat as simultaneously alive and dead until we look.

Similar to the aforementioned mythical capacitor that I above, that both fails open and fails closed simultaneously.

I hope this detailed description has sucked all the humor out of my comment from above post.

As far as I know, class Y caps must not fail short, so that they don´t endanger human lives. Class X must not fail in such way that they cause a fire. This does not mean they have to fail shorted.

Yes I think your correct kubeek.
So if one fails short and the other open I dont see how one cap can replace both.

Which one fails short?

let me google that for us.... and the answer is, obviously,...
Neither. The two cap classes are certified for two different purposes, according to KEMET.

**broken link removed**

E332A24F-61ED-46AC-949D-3C33DF37C9AF.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back