Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Citizen band receiver /monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

traveler359

I remember these from when I a kid. Was a receiver so you could monitor the activity on the CB band. Hear traffic and smokey reports etc. I was wondering if anyone on here might have a circuit for this. I've talked to a couple people in another forum and it was suggested that I use something similar to the old mk484 ic and build a mixing/if stage between the antenna and the IC so that the ic only has to worry about say 455khz. The frequency range is from AM. 26.965 - 27.405 At this point detecting SBB is not a factor. I've Google'd and not had any luck as yet.

Thanks everyone for you time
Craig

Just buy an old used CB transceiver from a second hand store or street market. It will receive much better than what you have in mind. Probably cost less.

Here is a pic of the CB transceiver I built in 1959.
Heathkit GW-10. I had a lot of fun with it.
I was 11 years old then. Really wanted to be a ham but was not ready yet.

Attachments

• HEATHKIT CB MODEL GW-10.jpg
    HEATHKIT CB MODEL GW-10.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
cb monitor receiver...

Its still a project i'd like to tackle, that and makeing a receiver for NOAA weather radio but thats a whole nother topic. I'd still welcome any ideas on how to construct a cb monitor. The main reasons for my quest/interest in this is because i life in south east Texas along the coast and during both Hurricane's Rita and Ike I used CB to communicate with friends when the power was off and the cell net was down. I'd just like a small simple device that would allow me to monitor CB for traffic reports etc with out the need to pull out the big toys, or from a couple friends that i have who just want to listen and don't need or want a full cb rig. I figured a receiver wouldn't be all that hard, that and building a cb transceiver is againt the law now days as it would have to be certified.

Craig.

Craig - you might take a look at amateur radio publications. You might find a relatively simple design for an amateur 10 meter receiver - CB is 11 meters. I know that the QRP (low power) community seems to publish a lot of good information on relatively simple projects. You could adapt 10 meter designs relatively easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back