Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Circuit Simulation for Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llamarama

Hello all!

I've recently converted from XP to Ubuntu Linux, Im now using Circuitmaker 2000 and Livewire under WINE, which seem to work ok but take up alot of RAM. Can anyone suggest good schematic capture software for Ubuntu 9.10, I like the looks of KTechlab but their website is offline. I have also tried to use Eagle, but their PCB size limitation is too small for me to use.

In short, are there any good free linux electronic CAD programs out there with an autorouter and a good component library?

Sorry if this is on the wrong place, I'm new to this. :)

Many thanks, Llamarama.

Congratz on switching to Linux! :D

I would highly recommend Eagle from CadSoft. It's perfect for creating schematics, and designing PCB boards. They have versions for Linux, Windows and Mac.

Here's the link to download Eagle:

Hi Birdman.

Did you actually read the original post ?

Quote.

"I have also tried to use Eagle, but their PCB size limitation is too small for me to use."

Linux is a pleasure to use, more features, less to worry about and generally a nice clean OS! :D

Unfortunately the vast majority of my boards are eurocard or larger, usually for as few wire links as possible, so the 80mm*100mm limit simply won't cut it.

Ktechlab sounds like the best at the moment, but their main pase seems offline. Can anyone suggest a mirror site or another program?

LTSpice works under Wine brilliantly and is designed that way.

LTSpice works under Wine brilliantly and is designed that way.

From what I could tell from the post, the OP is more interested in a schematic capture and layout tool despite the title of his post.

I use LTSpice for both schematic capture and simulation.

If the schematics aren't good enough quality then I improve them in Kpaint or save as a EMF and import them into a vector editing program such as Inkscape or OpenOffice Draw for touching up.

Never heard of LTSpice before, so I'll give that a shot. The main things i use are schematic capture with digital simulation, then autorouting. I rarely use microcontrollers so somthing like PIC simulation isnt critical. Thanks for all the replies so far!

I doubt you'll be able to get a package that does all of that and supports Linux.

LTSpice's main function is analogue simulation, followed by schematic capture. It has very limited support for digital and none for microcontrollers. LTSpice also lacks any PCB design tools.

The good thing is LTSpice can export the schematic as a netlist which can be used by other programs such as PCB CAD software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back