Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cigarrete like fading led effect...cap value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

strokedmaro

I'm trying to construct an electric cigarette..there very simple but VERY effective tobacco alternatives but I think I can do better ;) Id like to replicate the fading LED tip (like a cigarette when you take a drag) but without destroying the ones I have I cant read the capacitor. If I made a small board with an LED (0603 package) and a 470 ohm resistor, what size capacitor would give me the effect. Hard to time my current one but it seems to be fully on in a fraction of a second and fade away in about 1.5 seconds. Any help Appreciated

EDIT::Li ion battery @ approx 3.6 VDC

Last edited:
Maybe you need something like the attached circuit. D1 represents your LED. You can raise the current by lowering the value of R3.

Attachments

• LEDFader.JPG
    LEDFader.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 155
T = RC; The time it takes for a capacitor Cto charge to ~60% through resistor R
IC = BetaIB; relationship between transistor base current and collector current.
VBE ~= .7V, voltage drop from Base to Collector.
IE ~=IC; relationship between collector current and base current.

In this design, the capacitor charges through the 1M resistor with the time constant described above. Because the charging circuit has such high resistance ( 1 MEG ohm ) that signal is buffered by the two transistors. The current gain of the two trasistors is the Beta of a single transistor squared. The voltage at R3 is the capacitor voltage minus two VBE drops as described above. Current thru R3, and thus output current = V(R3)/R3. That's why decreasing R3 increases current thru the LED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back