Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Choosing high-voltage op-amp device & circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vertex

Hi - my first post here!

I am building a one-off project that requires hundreds of analogue outputs capable of swinging 0-50V and source / sink about 15mA into a resistance bridge. My dilemma is to choose the simplest & cheapest output buffer that will do the job reliably with low component count, as it is to be repeated hundreds of times.

The signal starts out as 0-5V with a freq. range of DC - 100 Hz. DC accuracy is moderately important. The output buffer stage needs to apply a gain of 10 and deliver the output current into a load that is basically resistive around the 4k mark, but the far end of it could be anywhere between 0 and 50V as the load is in a bridge configuration. I can make up any supply rails that are needed for the job. If the amp doesn't go rail-rail then we can provide say -5V and 55V easily.

Choices as usual are:
1. Build discrete amp
2. Use ordinary op-amp with bootstrapped supplies
3. Use power op-amp

Option 1 gives me a headache with the component count, as does 2 to a lesser extent. Trouble with 2 is the gain - I can't have all the gain in the bootstrapped stage because the input CM range would go outside the moving rails. So I need another stage which is a nuisance.

Option 3 - I could be lazy and fall back on the good old LM675. But it's an expensive overkill. I don't need 4 amps and don't want >1W per device of quiescent dissipation when there are 64 on each driver board.

So - the question - is there a magic bullet device that gives me the 15mA or so of current required, that comes in at a price more typical of an ordinary op-amp? Or a circuit dodge?

Thanks
>V<

People don't need an opamp with an output swing of up to 55V at 15mA so they are rare. Rare things are expensive.

Maybe your load can be fed from two ordinary inexpensive opamps in a bridge feeding both ends of the load in opposite phases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back