Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Chips that work with RFID readers? AND can this RFID reader work with a NXP NHS3100 UCODE chip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triode

For a prototype project for a client I am looking for chips that work with RFID readers, but which have some I/O I can use. The functionality I need is that it can have data read and written from it by a wireless reader which powers it, just like an RFID tag, but it can also be read from another chip onboard when that chip is awake.

One Example I've found is the NHS3100, from the NXP series of UCODE I2C chips. But since this is meant to be a quick proof of concept and RFID and NFC are not in my area of expertise I'd like to order more than one option. It would be way easier if someone sold a chip and a reader/writer together meant to do what I'm trying to do with this. But it seems like I need to source the reader/writer and the RFID chip from two different sources.

For now I've gotten a GAO RFID reader writer:
**broken link removed**

And a UCODE I2C dev kit:

So at this point if anyone can even tell me if these probably CAN work together it would be a big help just to be sure I'm not barking up the wrong tree. If you can point me to example code for the reader/writer that's even better. Or a totally other RFID chip and/or reader. You can probably tell I'm a bit lost here. My usual business is customizing stuff like prop lights and home automation stuff so I'm a bit lost.

*ethics disclaimer: I have told the client I am not an RFID expert and would try to deliver a proof of concept. Figuring out if I can find a way is what I'm supposed to be doing.

The first company you linked to has both readers and matching tags - just select the one you need. What will you use to read/write to the reader?

Mike.
Edit, does the tag have to store variable data or just fixed ID?

I can't identify if any of those have IO to be read from an onboard chip as well. For now I'm planning to use the reader with their demo software that runs in a browser.

I also found this fairly convenient chip (demo board in link) that is just an EEPROM with RFID read write capability. I think that could do it pretty easily. I just need to find a reader/writer that I'm sure will work. Ideally I want one that works from a good range, I'm not sure if there are scanner guns for the 13.56 MHz tags that have much range. For now I'm going to pursue both options because having a way that works is more important to me than the price of a few extra parts.

The RC522 modules are very cheap (<US$5) and can read/write the 13.56MHz tags. There's also lots of examples available (mostly Arduino).

Mike.
Edit, might have to order some just to have a play.
An article on reading/writing an RC522.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back