Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Chinook Helicopter Steering

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
How does a chinook helicopter steer left and right? It uses the cylic control to change the angle of attack of the blades on the left and right sides of the chopper doesn't it? Because I seem to be getting some indications that the ENTIRE blade assembly is TILTED left or right for that to happen which I'm pretty sure they don't do in a real chinook becuase that's just ridiculous with the power involved for the servo mechanism as well as the weight and fragility.

I saw it done on a small cheap tandem rotor helicopter though. But in actuality they use cyclic control like a normal helicopter don't they? And the forward/reverse is controlled by differential collective pitch between the rotors rather than forward/backward cyclic control like a single rotor chopper?

dknguyen said:
How does a chinook helicopter steer left and right?

On the ground, it steers like any vehicle:

https://www.chinook-helicopter.com/standards/areas/gear.html

In the air, it steers like any other helicopter:

https://www.chinook-helicopter.com/standards/areas/blade.html

https://www.aerodyn.org/Rotors/rcraft-concepts.html

The latter article talks about new designs with tilting rotors, including the Osprey. Based on the relative reliability of the Osprey and Chinook, you can bet the farm it is not tilting rotor.

It is also a great way to get some kids to a camping trip. Bet you can't do this with the family car! John

Attachments

• HH-47_Poster_Small.jpg
    HH-47_Poster_Small.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 944
Is there a reason why the front rotor is forward tilted (maybe the backward one is too, I can't tell). EIther way, why are they tilted at all from the horizontal?

The poster: Is that how a chinook rests it's rear on something while staying flight? It slows the rear rotor down? I saw it do that in COD4 to a ship on the first mission (sure a video game but w/e) and thought "whatever, that's not possible in real life for it to rest that stabley).

dknguyen said:
Is there a reason why the front rotor is forward tilted (maybe the backward one is too, I can't tell). EIther way, why are they tilted at all from the horizontal?

That is what makes the helicopter go in the forward direction, the rearward vector component of the thrust from the rotor.

JimB

as the rotors are only there to lift the helicopter and till a sertain level also forward movement all other horizontal movement have to come from the motors on the back each side

the differance between the thrust of these engines would give the hilicopter a rotating moment and so a change in direction

that's how i think it's done

Robert-Jan

Putting L/R cyclic on the front rotor and the opposite cyclic on the rear will produce yaw. I am sure it is done with a swash plate and not by tilting the rotors. If you clamp a model helicopter down to a bench and play with the cyclic the blades appear to tilt due to the them bending.

Mike.

Yeah I think it is also cyclic control that makes it turn (I know it definately has it, what else could it be used for?). That "Anatomy of a Chinook" website seems to mention nothing about tilting the rotors. Just from this website it is unclear whether or not the tilting is due to cylic pitch control or a whole rotor tilt mechanism:

http://www.helicopterpage.com/html/tandem.html

And from that website, it also seems like the altitude and foreward/aft movement is all due to collective pitch control. So it seems like there is no forward/aft cyclic control (like on a single rotor chopper...I think).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back