Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Chinese tig welder amps to high

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gtphil uk

I have a Chinese type ac dc welder and was wondering if anyone could help me with it. My problem is that when the amps are turned down to the lowest point even though it reads zero on the display it is still to high for very thin sheet metal is there anyway I can turn it down on the board inside

I have 1 of those chinese welders all you need to do is weld faster. I learned to weld 52 years ago I have lots of experience I can weld faster to solve my problem welding .060" thick steel. If metal is thinner you need to do lot of small spot welds so metal will cool between welds. You can also feed a 2nd wire into the weld with your left hand while welding with right hand. How thick is the metal your welding?

I put off buying a Chinese welder for many years because I figured it is worthless junk then finally bought one 5 years ago on sale it actually welds very good only because I am an experienced welder. I know 3 people that can not weld with their welder I showed them how to do it now they have confidence that it can be done all they have to do is practice and learn how.

Last edited:
I have a import weld set to.
It doesnt go down to 0 amps, but it does go low enough not to burn 0.6 wire, which is low enough.
I managed to find a schem for mine, have you looked to see if you can for yours.

You don't say what diameter your rod is when trying to weld at the low setting. Too large a rod and a low setting can just melt the work piece.

Ac/dc implies a stick set not mig.

I am welding 0.6 stainless and the welder has a pulse setting but will not pulse To zero which is annoying just wondered if it could be turned down on the board inside the machine. The weld starts fine but then as metal heats up blows hole I guess you just get what you have paid for. Miller one at work pulses right down to zero thanks Phil

Yes it is a tig I presumed they did not do ac dc mig I am using 1mm rods on 0.6 stainless not ever seen thiner rods

If its an Ac set then it might not pulse down to 0 amps.
A Dc set might well do.
Have a look at the book, there may be another way to pulse weld.
I have a Wse200 I think its called, I've never tried setting it to step down to 0, restarting the arc would be an issue for me, esp on stuff like tissue paper, not that I'm that good to be able to weld that kinda thing.

Welding stainless so On dc what my problem is when the machine is set down to zero so amps on pedal or machine if not using the pedal is as low as it will go it will still weld up to 2mm that’s with zero amps, it blows holes strait away in anything under 1mm so I am asking is there a way of adjusting the welder inside the machine. It is a machine fault I weld at work with a Miller perfect. maybe it can’t be done just asking

If you can find a schem on the net, someone here will be able to guide you further.

I had to look because it's been quite a while since I did thin stainless. Is your torch polarity set correctly? Thin stuff and stainless in particular need to use reverse polarity, to keep the majority of the heat out of the work. What gas or gas mixture are you using? Some people try to get away with using Mig gasses on a Tig, works OK on thick mild steel but not stainless or aluminum. Gas flow rate and torch angle and direction of weld also are things to look at.

Here is a pretty good tutorial - https://www.ratemywelder.com/best-tig-reviews/tig-welding-polarity-chart/

I've got away with argoshield on heavier stainless, but for thin stuff you need tri mix or whatever.
I think the Op is fairly genned up on fabricating, just not cheaper sets.

I have a import weld set to.
It doesnt go down to 0 amps, but it does go low enough not to burn 0.6 wire, which is low enough.
I managed to find a schem for mine, have you looked to see if you can for yours.

Knob does not change amps on Harbor Freight welder. The knob changes the wire speed. If weld is too hot speed up the wire. Adding more wire makes the weld colder. Practice striking an arc like striking a match.

Last edited:
A mig power supply is constant voltage, wirespeed is used to control current, both were questions on my certificate.

Stainless welds different than steel. Some metals welds best with reverse polarity what does your welder instructions say. Stainless does not weld like steel it is almost like welding with aluminum or lead or brass. Your welder may be too large for the metal your welding. Some of the better welders have several different settings I don't recall the names but there is 1 setting best way to explain what is does it is like changing the width of square wave output. If width of square wave is 90% it produces more heat than square wave 10% wide. Pulse width voltage and current never change but power at the weld does. It is like having a machine gun that shoots 2 bullets per second vs a gun that shoots 5 bullets per second vs a gun that shoots 10 bullets per second. Power of each bullet never changes but more bullets gives you a hotter weld. There is also a max/min pedal setting dial if your doing assembly line work welding the exact same metal all day set dial to the correct setting you never need to use the pedal. If you have foot pedal dial too high no wonder your burning holes in metal not using the pedal. If I understand what each setting does it is very helpful for me to weld easier.

Last edited:
I needed to look since it's been a long time since I did thin spotless. Is your light extremity set effectively? Dainty stuff and pure specifically need to utilize invert extremity, to keep most of the warmth out of the work. What gas or gas blend would you say you are utilizing? A few people attempt to pull off utilizing Mig gasses on a Tig, works OK on thick mellow steel however not pure or aluminum. Gas stream rate and light point and bearing of weld additionally are things to take a gander at.

Here good tutorial . check here

Stainless welds different than steal.

I'd like to see some type of backup for that statement. I've welded my whole adult life and never saw any difference between stainless and regular steels(but then again I never welded steal).

I have a Lincoln Electric, K2535-1, TIG Welder, And I am using this for the last 2 years. I am not facing any issue with this tig welder.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back