Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Chickens!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to raise pigeons and they do a similar thing. I think its a inherent skill of birds in general.
But whats odd about this action is many birds bob their heads when they walk in order to keep their focus.

Pigeons can turn their head completely backwards and nearly upside down if you get their focus on something.
Well actually the body can be turned around and nearly upside down. The head stays stationary. ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, one of the youtube comments said something about the head being darted forward past the body and kept stationary as the bird walked forward and once the head fell too far back the head would quickly dart ahead again. THe so called strutting that birds do. They said it let the head stay stationary for most of the time as a bird's walking for better vision. SOrt of like like the way dancers turn their heads as they turn so they don't get dizzy.

Interesting post! Though I would have thought your point of view gradually moving as you walk would make your vision more accurate than remaining stationary for a while and then suddenly lunging forward.

Man, that's hilarous, especially when the chicken had enough of being exhibited and went on the attack! LOL!

I was hoping to see some disemboweling but they had to cut that part out to stop it being removed from youtube ;)

Another cool thing about pigeons is:

You can (hypothetically) catch one, put it inside your cars' trunk, drive 100 Km and then set it free... He will return to his home automatically. Magnetic - Inertial - Visual navigation? Nobody knows... but still awesome!

Last edited:
Not sure about pigeons, but I believe most migratory birds have biological magnetic navigation which helps them determine which direction in which to fly. I think I may have studied it in a small amount of detail when I was in sixth form, but haven't since then so I'm not sure of the details.

Not sure about pigeons, but I believe most migratory birds have biological magnetic navigation which helps them determine which direction in which to fly.

Yes, they tried that on the TV show, attaching a small magnet on the bird's head to "jam" the compass. But the compass still worked, the bird required some heading corrections but arrived. Nature is what I call extreme engineering

The other interesting one was where they put a bird in a box without light, moved it around so there was no indication of direction, and the bird still flew in the correct direction at the correct time.

I was watching one documentary recently and the currently most believed theory is that they rely on smell!

As well they set a pigeon free several times from the same destination about 100km away. The first few journeys its path strayed a bit but after that its path was the exact same every single time. This proved they use landmarks as a navigation technique as well.

Smell? That seems unlikely in this scenario. Regardless of how sensitive an animal is to smell, there's no way a trail could lead 100km.

Clearly they're capable of using several different methods together to navigate.

I raised pigeons growing up. They are one of the smarter bird species. It takes very little time to train them to do specific actions. The homing instinct is natural to all varieties of pigeons however some are far faster at it than others.

The homing pigeon is typically just faster and better at it than the rest. The others will usually come back to where they live but are more prone to on occasion stay in an area longer if there is an immediate advantage or interest to them.

A dedicated homing pigion may make a return trip in a day or two while others may take a week or a month! Others tend to have a bit too much of the tourist mentality while traveling home. They usually will come back but not always quickly. :p

Chickens may have these kind of great capabilities. We have too!

Now you tell somebody to elevate or rotate your body at any direction. I'm sure your 'eyes' will be pointing only to this pic at any cost :)
**broken link removed**

Humm no, as a broasted chicken-addict and expert I can tell you that picture is not tasty enough. :D

Imagine this with a couple of beers instead

VEGAN - DISCLAIMER
Do not open attachment - you may reconsider beign vegan

Attachments

• 3413893893_f0aa0f99bf.jpg
    3413893893_f0aa0f99bf.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 153
  • 10590_7222008111621.jpg
    10590_7222008111621.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
I consider my self a second level vegan.

I only eat things that dont eat meat themselves! :D

Mmmm. Chicken gooooood. :)

Have you ever tried messing with vegans? It can make a guys week some times! :D

Anyone who grew up in a farming community has some basic knowledge of what gets put into fertilizer and other consumable plant crops. Most crops use one form or another of fertilizer that has some degree of animal byproducts in them.

Especially the all organic fertilizers the vegans love so much!

Do some research and present it to your vegan neighbor. Its a great way to ruin someones belief system when they look down on you for yours!

If they eat a plant that benefited from an animal dying does that then not count against the only eat plants argument or not?:confused:

What I don't get is why plants should be distinguished from animals. They're both alive. Killing a plant is no less killing a living organism.

Anyway, my neighbour is somewhat fickle. She's vegan but decided to briefly turn vegetarian when she was upset and decided only milk chocolate could help :rolleyes:

But let's stop the whole vegan discussion before we a) veer way off topic and b) a vegan gets offended.

I dont mind. Its not like they have the stamina to argue for very long! :rolleyes:

Or really do much of anything for very long for that matter!:D:D

I know a few. They think they have all the energy in the world but work em for 15 minutes doing anything physical and they run out of batteries and need to rest. And then complain because what was expected of them was an unrealistic work pace! (Mow a level yard with a 20 inch push mower) :p
Fortunately they dont have enough breath in them to be heard complaining at that point though. :D:D

Maybe some barbecue sauce and a chicken would help? :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back