Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Checks and balances?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buk

As in are there any here?

Any constraints on the use and abuse of moderator privileges?

Why, do you have a problem?

JimB

We have to answer to Admin.. If a Mod gets reported ( we all know who ) then all the other mods scramble around. But as we do this voluntary, I doubt admin will do anything ..

Once upon a time we answered to EM.... He would make sure all was fine... As long as the money pours in from the adverts, the new management will trust us.

Anywho...Regardless.... We answer to the majority, the demographic of this forum.. If you are being crass and unruly, there will be a report or two from other members... IF!! there are millions, we have to act.. Members really need to realize that this is, and always will be, a public forum with all the weirdo's and what not's... But you know this....

Yes. But I daren't say anything because someone will just ban me. Again.

For which there is no discussion, no warning, and no attribution.

I get banned for reporting racism; but the racist continues unabated.

Maybe the moderator shares his prejudice. Maybe his nose is out of joint because I ignore him.

I don't remember you being banned... As for racism.. There is one main contributor. AND HE DOESN'T EVEN KNOW HE IS!! go figure.
I have wrapped his knuckles many, many times...

Anyway.. Is there a single Mod you can trust?? I'll need to look into your complaint as reporting racism will not get you banned!! Discusing it on the open forum might, depending on the context..

I get banned for reporting racism; but the racist continues unabated.

You got a short term ban for making SEVEN reports, as was explained in the communication you received. One would have been fine, but seven makes seven times as much work for the moderators, and is completely unreasonable.

ou got a short term ban for making SEVEN reports,
Seven separate instances. Seven separate reports.

One nose-out-of-joint moderator looking for any excuse to abuse his power (again), by way of revenge for...?

Don't bother! I'll save you the trouble. 10 days good for you?

Seven separate instances. Seven separate reports.

One nose-out-of-joint moderator looking for any excuse to abuse his power (again), by way of revenge for...?

Don't bother! I'll save you the trouble. 10 days good for you?
I think the problem here is the acknowledgement of a report!! It has nothing in place. If a member reports a situation the site needs to acknowledge that the report is "on with"

We mods see the report, time and time again I see mods "answering" but forget that the members do not see the answer.. We really need to PM the individual and explain what we are doing.. Also remember, some newbies are pressing report as they think its the reply " language thing" so the report list will just get parsed without examination.... Trying to get them to stop isn't easy..

I do not believe any Mod here is malicious.. We all do this voluntarily.. If you report something, wait a while as we do discuss the report and then take a unified action.

As for the banning... Oh look ! you are still here..

Pommie ! It's quite hard as the individual isn't really racist.... Everyone is targeted especially us Brits... At worst even if someone shows mistrust in another being, its not really race hate.. I have never been racist... We are all part of the same race... There is good and bad in every ethnic group... What tends to happen is migration of low paid, low educated people searching for a better life, give false vibes around their ethnicity and thus their ethnic group as a whole. Wrong!! but them's the facts.

I lived in South Africa where the Brits huddled together as a group and this caused doubt and anger amongst the South Africans.. They disliked us very much.. But it cannot be confused with downright racism.. because it isn't..

The movements like Nazism and Islamic extremism are racists, as they would eliminate ethnic groups..

“Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion. Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing. He is not a good man who, without a protest, allows wrong to be committed in his name, and with the means which he helps to supply, because he will not trouble himself to use his mind on the subject.”

You are quoting words.... Words are written by someone with an opinion.. Someone else is allowed a different opinion..

I no not where those words are written, but they were written by a person.

“Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part .. .. .. .. ..etc .

The words of John Stuart Mill, an English 17th Cent. Philosopher .. .. quoted well out of context .. .. .

MM

As long as the money pours in from the adverts, the new management will trust us.
Then I guess it is time to inform a few advertisers that their names and brands are being associated with a site that tolorates and appeases bigotry, and is being run by petty tyrants. Perhaps new management will choose to get involved if their bottom line starts to get hit,

Its a business.... Like any other.. What are you expecting.. Do you think I'm a bigot??? Do you think it wise to ban everyone that one member takes a dislike to.. We've been here before haven't we.... As I said... The majority rule... If, as a mod, I believe one over 50 then I ain't doing my job..

Everywhere you go there will be some annoying people, it will never change... Once upon a time we were taught to turn the other cheek and let things go..

IF!! this forum isn't to your liking then go elsewhere... It wont bother anyone at all.. No one will mind...

Here we go..... The request / reports to close the thread has started... You really don't do yourself any favors..

Thread locked... BY OTHER MEMBERS REQUEST!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back