Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Check This **** Out!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
well first you have to get or build a tesla coil (that's the hard part) then the rest is cake

I'm sorry, I fell asleep 1/4 the way through.
I find it somewhat disturbing that there are more links than there is content in your post =)

there are much better sounding tesla coils on gootube, these sound really harsh. some dudes have them really tuned well, so you dont hear any of the 'spark' noise, just the music.

i especially don't like that video since out of the 2 min running time, half of that is spent on introductory graphics and the ending credits. talk about stroking ones ego

"Funny, I like how the neon sign picks up on the tesla coil.."

the neon sign is powered from the tesla coil, true wireless energy:D
yes that one doesn't sound particually good, but i have seen tesla coils that sound like it's coming out of a speaker. although you still get that slight hiss of carona

The music is really pretty easy. I programmed the theme to super mario brothers into my coil in about 10 hours. 8 of those hours were spent trying to find the musical notes and decoding the sheet music.

I have a video on google videos here: **broken link removed**
It doesnt sound that great, probably due to my lack of music knowledge while programming the notes.

Here's a pic of the little monster:
**broken link removed**

i tried to build a tesla coil 160cm tall, but none of mine work, and if they do, it's just a little spark 1mm long:( i want the one in your pic, it looks really cool and well done:D i have tried 2 neon sign transformers, niether worked, and i am currently trying a flyback, i hope i can get one to work:rolleyes:

my TC isnt all that great, I'm only getting 26" sparks. I could get alot more but I need to do some powersupply work, but I've been working on it for a year now, and Im starting to lose interest.

Did you do the calculations and whatnot on your coil to get it in tune? I would think you'd get more output with an NST than with a flyback.
what are the specs of your NST?

the two nst's have the same specs of 15\30. the first one had a spark output of about 3mm, the second one worked for about 5 seconds, then it only made sparks when i touched the 2 seconadaries together. i have pulled all the tar out of the second one (which i regret now):rolleyes: i can't seem to get the core apart, and the windings are very thin, so i don't think i can really fix it. the thing i like about nst's are there satisfying 50hz humm, but it's not so satisfing when it doesn't work. i have tried each secondary to ground, the first one had little sparks on each winding to ground, and the second one, only one of the windings produce a spark???? i have asked over at 4hv how to get it working, but i guess i got bad ones, you get what you pay for (free):D

15kv units are hard to find. The guys at work blew up my 7500V unit, and are compensating me $35, and I sold them another 5kV unit I had for $25. Both worked but were kinda beat up. The 5kV unit was sold to me as is and I'm not even sure if it works.

So I've got $60 and then whatever more I deem necessary to spend on a 15kV unit, or a 12kV unit if I have to settle. Any places other than Ebay to look?

I know a local guy that was getting handfulls of used NSTs, mostly 12/30's for pretty cheap. I think he was even giving them away (just charging for shipping) on the 4hv message board.

I'll see if he still has some.

There was also a guy on here that sold me a 15/30 NST for pretty cheap. (10-20 for the NST and 40 for shipping) I think he might have another one for sale. his user name is "Chemelec"

i know chemelec. the only bad thing about nst's is that they are so heavy, so it costs much more to ship them than to actually buy them

Sorry to bring up this old thread, but I got recently got two nst's (one 12/30 and one 9/60). All I had to do was ask at a local neon sign shop (looked it up in the phone book) and they gave me them for free. They're kind of old, but they both work great. Maybe you could try the same?
Good luck!
der strom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back