Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cheap Power Meter DIY problems - Wrong Voltage+ current

Status
Not open for further replies.

tempy111

Been trying to toy around with a cheap DIY power meter.. got a cheap (and it seams to cost more online then what i paid at the moment) generic Pzem-025 meter which displays voltage, amps, watts and kWh for mains useage (rated up to 300vs and 100amps).

It has two bit Screw lugs on the back for attaching in line with the Neutral between the load and the test voltage. If the test voltage is under 8 volts (or so) then it has a second connection for an external power source, which is meant to be 5-12volts.

My idea was, as it's for mains checking, use a UK plug socket for a connection for the Load. as per the wiring diagram, the Live (positive) striaght to live, I ran the earth to earth for extra protection, and the Netural goes to the meter, then carrys on to the power source/voltage source, So everything should be wired up right..

However, the voltage on the meter seams to put the decimal in the wrong place.. claiming 22.0 volts when it means 220volts.
It also seams to read the same current draw reguardless of if i plug something into the socket (for testing, I've tried my solidering iron and glue gun, both of which are mains) and it doesn't seam to change what is being displayed. Even if I take into account that it's somehow reading it's own draw, it seams odd that its not being affected by anything..

any ideas or suggestions? buying a pre-made meter isn't really something I want to cause not only is is way less fun, but the price is higher then I would like for the amount of useage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back