Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cheap low power pump for watering plants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyback

What is the cheapest and most robust water pump? (low power too)
It only has to pump enough water to water 30 or so small plants.
So almost something really cheap that can be switched off most of the time...
.it just has to pump the water up a height of 2 metres...no rush either..
its only for plants.

Our system voltage is 12V, but we could make it up to say 48V, if better pump available there.

Probably a little peristaltic pump. Not fast, but simple and not much to go wrong. They just squeeze silicone or latex tube with rollers to push liquid through.
eg.

Or if you have a 3D printer, you can get a suitable small geared motor and make one yourself:

Thanks, peristaltic sounds great...but wiki says the tubing needs replacing over time due to mech stress.
Also, I am wondering if any pumps can tolerate iced water?..........ie lumps of ice in it, or just iced so much that the pump cant pump anything, and effectively runs dry.

Windscreen washer pump from a car?

Can often freeze solid if the water is not dosed with a suitable additive.
I don't know how long they can last with power on and stalled, but a simple circuit to detect stall current should do the business.

JimB

Thanks, google is barren about "water pumps that won't break if the water turns to ice".
But as you say, presumably any pump wont break if the water ices up, as long as the stall current is limited?

Nothing simpler, cheaper and readily available than an aquarium/fish tank air pump and the bubbles carrying/pushing the water up in a plain clear aquarium hose to the surface almost no matter how high. ;)
[ Does not need to pump from 20' deep as shown and is much more reliable than a water pump. If runs continuosly, it will not freeze easily, IF a plant can be irrigated at freezing temperatures ]

1635464073697.png

Thanks, google is barren about "water pumps that won't break if the water turns to ice".
But as you say, presumably any pump wont break if the water ices up, as long as the stall current is limited?
A Google of "12 Volt Garden Pumps" brings up a few dozen hits. Also a Google of "sprinkler hose for garden" will bring up a few dozen hits. I doubt you need a high pressure or a high head. Solids like chunks of ice become another issue. If you can get by with a small automotive windshield washer pump they won't pump solids but can freeze and thaw.

I see no mention of your water source? Looking for example a submersible pump or are you just drawing water from a rain barrel? Also, your "really cheap" and my really cheap or inexpensive may not be the same. :) You have about a six foot head. Here is an example of a simple 12 VDC water pump. Being a diaphram type pump it may do well with small solids but I doubt it would do well in a freeze.

Ron

Also, I am wondering if any pumps can tolerate iced water?
Surely it can't be good for the plants to water them with icy water or under icy conditions? Besides, since transpiraion would be low then, would they actually need watering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back