Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cheap Alternatives to Weller hot air pencils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Rad

After buying an Aoyue brand "knockoff" smd station (the 852A++), I have to say I'm pleased enough with the quality, but I'm also looking for something with a lower-power element, and lower-pressure blower. Something ala the Weller WRS1002, but in the price range of those chinese rework stations.

I don't need vacuum functionality, just variable pressure and cpu controlled temp.

I don't know where to look, any search strings I've tried have resulted in almost exclusively Weller resellers. Sometimes I get Hakko, Pace, or Xytronics results but all of these are above my price range.

I just find it weird that there are so many ultra-cheap 700W 30L/Min digital rework stations, but so few cheap 100W 6L/Min units!! Anyone know of such stations made by the likes of Quick, Aoyue, Best, etc...?

Can you not just turn the flow/temp down on your unit? If not, would it be acceptable to have a 700W 30L/Min unit that could be turned down?

Edit: Hmm, this post was a little on the old side.

Last edited:
Yes, I do keep the air flow at one of the four lowest setting, but there are 33+ settings, it would just be nice if I could get something less powerful for less money. The lower maximum flow rate would also yield more precise control. It would also be nice if it were less bulky...

Edit: Hmm, this post was a little on the old side.
It fits your avatar perfectly! Its a little umm.. on the odd side itself.
What is that minimization anyway?

Heres a quote for you.
Studies show that studies showing things often dont actualy show anything usefull. -- Unknown

I have only ever used a hot air pencil soldering system once and I either had a weak one or I just never learned how to set it right.

Last edited:
The reviews I have read say the cheap units just barely get hot enough.

The Aoyue is definitely a cheap one and it (reads out that it) goes up to about 480 deg C. I usually run it around 380 though, but I needed to heat up a large connector once and it did it pretty darn quick.

tcmtech said:
What is that minimization anyway?
Huh?

Sorry, The dam spell check changes words.
What did you make your avatar picture from?
Its the most original one I have seen!
It looks to be a morph of a guy, girl, and possiblly a monkey?

I am glad it works. When I was looking for one they review(s) I read said the cheap ones had just enough heat to work. My unit was not cheap but it has adjustable heat (with feedback) and adjustable air pressure.

The Aoyue is definitely a cheap one and it (reads out that it) goes up to about 480 deg C. I usually run it around 380 though, but I needed to heat up a large connector once and it did it pretty darn quick.

Sorry, The dam spell check changes words.
What did you make your avatar picture from?
Its the most original one I have seen!
It looks to be a morph of a guy, girl, and possiblly a monkey?

pretty much yeah :) I can't take credit for making something that disturbing though. I saw it somewhere years and years ago and saved it. I use it as an avatar on any forums that let me have one.

Holly Sh!t!!! Dam man!!! There was no ugly left in that ugly stick when they got done beating his stupid ass with it! :eek::eek:
He's a sex offender in a wheel chair? WTF? Who couldn't get away from someone like that? Just flip his stupid ass over back wards! Its like putting a turtle on its back! :D
A one legged hooker with broken crutches could still get away with that maneuver!:D:D:D:p

I dont make fun of ugly people they cant help how they look. Its not their fault usually.:(
But any dumb ass sex offender is more than fair game in my book! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back