Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Charging a battery with a supercap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh sorry Diver, I thought you were replying to my post, you're right.

Hey Blueroom,

Could you explain a little more about the ESR point you made, I'm not very savvy on that particular part. From the website the ultracap has an ESR of 19mOhms; is that milli or mega?

Also here is a link to the paper I read...

**broken link removed**

Thanks!

My general understanding of super capacitors is that they tend to either have a very high ESR or a very high leakage current. I think he was confusing them with the type of super capacitors used as a backup for CMOS memory ICs.

The types of super capacitor used in automotive applications have a very low ESR but tend to have a high leakage current which is even worse in this application because it will flatten the battery.

I suppose you might be able to get low ESR low leakage super capacitors but they would be very expensive.

EDIT:
I notice you've linked an article which you have to pay for.

Have you bought it?

Could you please post a small part of it which would be classed as fair dealing under copyright law?

I'm very skeptical, if there is a way of reducing sulphation then I would think it would be more complicated than just connecting a super capacitor in parallel with the battery.

Last edited:
The supercap in question has a current leakage of 1 mA after 72hours at 25deg c. Check it out here

Maxwell Technologies: Ultracapacitors - BPAK0058-15V

Anyways, thank you all for your constructive criticism; its given me good points to critically analyse; however the topic is to get some help on how to quantify the decisions I have made.

Hero, one of the benefits of being at university is that I get a free Athens login! :D

Back to the calculus!

Anyone know by anychance how much voltage and current a typical brushless dynamo will give off compared to its RPM? I'm assuming it corresponds to its windings?

I think I can understand how this works now, the capacitor can charge and discharge faster, more efficiently and has a longer life than the battery so it takes some of the strain off it.

1mA is quite high for a capacitor, it's probably a good idea to disconnect it when it isn't being used.

Blueroom, I don't plan on having conventional dynamos, just a hub motor which fits into the wheel; so yes this will act as a brake, much like engine braking in a car. Check out the current E-bikes on the market to see! Some incoroprate a freewheel planetary gear system, but this eliminates the possibility of regen =( There are ways around this too of course =)

That is correct hero! Although current leakage shouldnt be too bad considering most people will use their bike twice 5 days a week (commuters). Also, with the circuit design, once the controller is switched off, the capacitor will be isolated (as standard).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back