Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Changing shaft on potentiometer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickedemuz

This might be a very strange question but I have a potentiometer that is clearly marked with WH118-1 2WA 2.2K from NBHY that I want to change for a 10K instead. The thing is that the pot i have, have a longer shaft than what seems to be standard for these to be able to have a gear on it. I can’t find it with a longer shaft anywhere so I’m wondering if is specially made or something? Any ideas are appreciated :)
It looks like this:
5FD06A5E-F8CC-4C6F-A522-1D929D253C89.jpeg

35F043B7-64F0-4DEB-89B1-95C4A870F107.jpeg

AB30B46E-DE17-4F0E-8C8F-370C4D1C444E.jpeg

23A89C97-E8C0-4327-B78C-DF4B78CC64B0.jpeg

Looks like a custom pot for a foot pedal - 'if' you could find an identical pot then you may be able to swap the shaft over (after all it went together somehow), but it's a big 'if'.

However, standard pots have considerably longer shafts than that, and you cut them down to what you want.

You are spot on :) It sure is for a foot pedal. I have found replacements but not rated at 2W. It seems way overkill since the welder only puts out 3.3 or 5V on that line but I might be missing something?

The size is most likely more for mechanical strength than electrical power rating; it's going to have quite a bit of side load.

Pots with long metal spindles are readily available; RS components list about 30 different 10K pots with 6mm metal spindles 20mm or longer.

There are some with 30mm & longer spindles, though they can be rather expensive.. Using a longer spindle and adding a support bush or bearing at the other side of the gear (if there is room) could vastly extend the pot life.

Also check the rotational life from the datasheet before choosing one; that can vary dramatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back