Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Certification requirements for product containing lithium batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt111111

I am designing an embedded product that contains rechargeable lithium Polymer battery packs. The product will have an onboard battery charger which will take a DC input from an off the shelf wall wart.

The product will not be sold to any third party; it will only be used by employees to perform a service in Canada and the US.

I have a number of questions regarding required certifications:

-From what I have read UN38.3 addresses the certification/tests required to transport lithium batteries by air but does not apply to products containing lithium batteries. If I took UN38.3 certified batteries and used them in a product, does the product need to be certified to some equivalent standard similar to UN38.3 in order to be shipped by air? If so, where can I find information regarding this certification?

-Is there any certifications required (from a safety perspective) for products that contain on board lithium battery chargers?

I’m trying to determine what our company needs to do from a legal/safety perspective to ensure our design meets any certifications or standards needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back